Would you still buy it?

Probably the biggest reason I kept using a Lumia was for its camera chops.

If the Surface phone doesn't have a great camera, it would give me serious pause about getting it.
    09-13-2017 12:50 PM
    @bulls96, I would definitely agree with you! Camera performance is 'WAY' important!
    v_emman, TechFreak1 and davebwi like this.
    09-13-2017 12:52 PM
    I agree as well. Even if they are focusing on enterprise, if you expect someone to replace their phone with your device, you should provide at least a camera that is equal to what you have on iPhone or Pixel.
    mtf1380, techiez and v_emman like this.
    09-14-2017 01:20 PM
    What if there is no surface phone
    09-14-2017 01:38 PM
    I would be surprised (even though we are talking about MS) if MS made a device with lesser a camera then what they had in their Lumias.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Correction: Lumias not Luminas
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 09-20-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    09-14-2017 02:09 PM
    The first function of a mobile device is its communication duties (call out, receive calls, texting, and emails), its second duty is the camera function (IMO); and MS should be focusing on introducing a "far" superior camera/recorder... and NOTHING less than!!!! to put on their top-of-the-line unit.

The camera over apps, for me.
    09-14-2017 05:32 PM
    Didn't msft fire some people from the imaging team few months back?
    techiez likes this.
    09-14-2017 07:11 PM
    Would you still buy it?

If the Surface phone doesn't have a great camera, it would give me serious pause about getting it.
    I loved the lumia devices because of the camera - I had the Lumia 1020

Now I have the lumia 540 and it's an average camera at best.

So if the next mobile offering from Microsoft doesn't have an excellent camera but is outrageously priced, I won't really be interested

The price has to reflect the internals - if the internals including the camera are of mediocre quality, then the price has to match too
    Guytronic, Ben Palmer and v_emman like this.
    09-15-2017 01:05 AM
    Would you still buy it?

Many WP users were fans of Nokia camera Tech, I believe MS already let go of all that expertise, however it would be pity even the so called surface phone if ever there was one doesn't even match 950's camera, however I'm leaned towards MS releasing this device with an average camera.
    And surely would drive away some users just due to this fact. I'm not convinced that all the ultramobile PC baloney will help such a device.
    HammerBlue likes this.
    09-15-2017 03:15 AM
    What if there is no surface phone
    If?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    09-15-2017 01:48 PM
    Many WP users were fans of Nokia camera Tech, I believe MS already let go of all that expertise, however it would be pity even the so called surface phone if ever there was one doesn't even match 950's camera, however I'm leaned towards MS releasing this device with an average camera.
    And surely would drive away some users just due to this fact. I'm not convinced that all the ultramobile PC baloney will help such a device.
    The "best" Windows phone, according to a WC article, is the Elite x3 and its camera is mediocre at best. Does that answer your question?

09-15-2017 01:51 PM
    The "best" Windows phone, according to a WC article, is the Elite x3 and its camera is mediocre at best. Does that answer your question?

Yeah, BUT...

Most X3 users are ex-950/950XL users; and of those, 'most', if not all, have kept their 950/950XL for its camera. So yes, their are those whom will buy the biggest and best, but I have recently had the opportunity to trade my 2-yr old 950XL for a 'new' X3, an ddeclined the offer - only because I wouldn't of had the camera capabilities. Sure, I would have had more power; but, I would not have noticed the 'power', as much as I would have "missed" the camera:)

That's just me.
    09-15-2017 02:47 PM
    quit dreaming.... there is no Surface $$$$t
    09-15-2017 02:52 PM
    Yeah, BUT...

Most X3 users are ex-950/950XL users; and of those, 'most', if not all, have kept their 950/950XL for its camera. So yes, their are those whom will buy the biggest and best, but I have recently had the opportunity to trade my 2-yr old 950XL for a 'new' X3, an ddeclined the offer - only because I wouldn't of had the camera capabilities. Sure, I would have had more power; but, I would not have noticed the 'power', as much as I would have "missed" the camera:)

That's just me.
    That makes two of us. That's why I'm having such a hard time deciding which phone to keep as my daily driver. This x3 has some serious things going for it but my Primo has a noticeably better camera and the display has a LOT better visibility in the sunlight. It's been a tough couple of weeks because while the Primo has very good battery life, the x3 is insane. Easily the best battery of any phone I've ever had including the S8+.

Look at the signatures on my posts and you'll see the incessant flip flopping between rigs. I "think" it's a good problem to have. Kind of like deciding who to start at QB, Marino or Manning. I'm a Dolphins fan, do NOT mention the guy in Boston. 😝

mark233, mtf1380 and Ben Palmer like this.
    09-15-2017 06:17 PM

and no wonder many fans refused to pick up an elite X3
    mtf1380 and HammerBlue like this.
    09-16-2017 05:02 AM
    and no wonder many fans refused to pick up an elite X3
    Excellent point! I believe you are SOOOO! correct... a VERY important lesson to be learned! Are you paying attention Microsoft?
    Player Piano likes this.
    09-16-2017 07:46 AM
    I'm a Dolphins fan, do NOT mention the guy in Boston.

You mean the greatest QB of all time? that guy?
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-16-2017 07:48 AM
    You mean the greatest QB of all time? that guy?
    Yes, as a Miami guy I still hate Flutie. You were referring to him right?

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk
    mtf1380 likes this.
    09-16-2017 10:02 AM
    Sure... if it will make you feel better. LOL!
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-16-2017 04:46 PM
    I still think for any mobile device that replaces your phone, it needs to have a pretty good camera to succeed. Don't you guys think?
    Ben Palmer likes this.
    09-17-2017 03:30 PM
    I still think for any mobile device that replaces your phone, it needs to have a pretty good camera to succeed. Don't you guys think?
    Tablet cameras have been largely overlooked thus far. It's smartphone or bust - or so it seems.

09-17-2017 03:35 PM

Excellent point.

Twitter: @PhotographyET
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-17-2017 03:41 PM
    Tablet cameras have been largely overlooked thus far. It's smartphone or bust - or so it seems.

Tablets were not supposed to replace the smartphone. The "surface mobile" is supposed to (i hope)
    Ben Palmer likes this.
    09-17-2017 04:00 PM
    Since the subject has been raised, I will ante my two cents... I would 'also' love to see a great camera on the back facing side of the Surface Pro (opposite the screen side); when I'm at a convention and taking notes with my SP, it would be great to be able to snap some professional looking pictures of the product I'm looking at, at the time, and have them available on the same page as the notes I took.
    09-17-2017 05:01 PM
    Since the subject has been raised, I will ante my two cents... I would 'also' love to see a great camera on the back facing side of the Surface Pro (opposite the screen side); when I'm at a convention and taking notes with my SP, it would be great to be able to snap some professional looking pictures of the product I'm looking at, at the time, and have them available on the same page as the notes I took.
    The closest I've seen to a good camera on a tablet is the Galaxy S2 9.7. No iPad or Surface is worth a darn other than for videoconferencing with the front camera. I'd like to have something decent even if it's just for scanning documents, but noooooo.

Sent from my ZTE Piece of S**t Android on the Windows Central Forums app
    Guytronic and mtf1380 like this.
    09-17-2017 06:49 PM
82 123 ...