Surface Phone. Keeping Hope?

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm keeping hope but I do realize it will be a business centric device without many apps. But I'm good with that. With Delta and General Electric in recent days dropping Windows Phones and Surface for iPhones and Mac's the question now is, is Microsoft even going to create a phone for business? That's now looking even doubtful.

I'll hold on until the final nail.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hard to say given Microsofts wishy-washy course.
Maybe a personnel change out at MS will bring round a whole new direction.

I've moved on myself and never taken Microsoft's actions (or inaction) personally like some WP users have.

I'm more bothered when the grocery store or Walmart stops carrying my favorite things suddenly with no reason given.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm keeping hope but I do realize it will be a business centric device without many apps.

Sorry, a business centric phone still needs apps. I'm a frequent business traveler and using W10M as a daily driver for the past 8 months was very challenging. I just switched to android again and it's nice having airline apps and the app for my travel agency. Also, I can now use apps for events and conferences where I could not with W10M.

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, a business centric phone still needs apps. I'm a frequent business traveler and using W10M as a daily driver for the past 8 months was very challenging.

I do feel your pain. I had a 950, but it didn't have the KAYAK app for traveling. This is one of my favorite apps on my Lumia 830 so I gave my 950 to my son. Also, the HERE Transit app is one of my all time apps. Windows Phone 10 doesn't have it. So yes, I do want apps. I suppose I could say I don't need game apps. :) The only game apps I play on a regular basis on my phone is Dominos and Sudoku. Other than those I don't need game apps.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping hope but I do realize it will be a business centric device without many apps. But I'm good with that. With Delta and General Electric in recent days dropping Windows Phones and Surface for iPhones and Mac's the question now is, is Microsoft even going to create a phone for business? That's now looking even doubtful.

Well Ms has made it clear, no more phones, that includes phones for business as well. Ms is working on something for enterprise and due to the long standing talk of surface phone we imagine it to be a phone, but it will not be, It will be some kind of enterprise digital assistant to be used to executives that support basic computing, has a working cortana to complement tasks, or mobile handheld devices that support specific functions in sales/retail etc. There are enterprise handheld devices still working on windows mobile 6.5 so a refresh is long overdue.

nleiilly

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I slipped and broke the screen my 950xl a couple of days before the announcement. I thought I'd wait for the surface phone and breathed life back into my girlfriend old oneplus 2, I'm now running android 8.0 (Oreo) AOSP ROM..

I'm no Google fan, far from it.., but now I'm using Android its far more user friendly and stuff just works. I've now even started using chrome properly for the first time and I think this is where it'll go, diehards will leave the MS eco system and any buzz will disappear and MS pin there hopes on a few huge corporate deals.

Businesses might like the surface phone but their users might not and as most companies now offer their users BYOD very few will be bring Surface Phones..

If they release the surface phone, or whatever it is soon and if it can use all the hardware I bought for my 950xl (multiple continuum docks, car kits etc) then I'll be first in line.. If not then I'm not sure I will keep throwing money after bad.. as much as that pains me to say..

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Businesses might like the surface phone but their users might not and as most companies now offer their users BYOD very few will be bring Surface Phones..

I dont see how business will be interested in surface phone. it will be a costly reference device. We dont see business jump in to buy surface studios en masse. so with business out of picture, and MS declaring surface device not for consumers, who will buy it without trying it.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Well Ms has made it clear, no more phones, that includes phones for business as well. Ms is working on something for enterprise and due to the long standing talk of surface phone we imagine it to be a phone, but it will not be, It will be some kind of enterprise digital assistant to be used to executives that support basic computing, has a working cortana to complement tasks, or mobile handheld devices that support specific functions in sales/retail etc.

But this is what smartphones are for, and Android and iOS have filled that niche. It's not the 90s anymore; Nobody wants to carry a PDA in addition to their phone. This is the whole reason modern smartphones exist in the first place.

There are enterprise handheld devices still working on windows mobile 6.5 so a refresh is long overdue.

There are very few of these devices remaining, and most businesses who used them have switched to Android-based devices. The Windows Mobile 6/ Pocket PC form factor is about 20 years old now. I still smile nostalgically when I spot one in the wild, but those sightings have become few and far between.

Look guys, I was as much of a die-hard as you all. I wanted to believe. I drank the Kool Aid. But it's over, and Surface Phone will never happen. You're talking about an expensive premium device that offers nothing compelling to enterprise users and even less to consumers. The Surface Phone already exists, and it's the Note 8 with your favorite Microsoft services installed. With its stylus and DeX, and a 6"+ screen, this is the type of thing we should have received two years ago instead of the 950. You can install a tile launcher and theme, and it ends up approximating the Windows Mobile experience close enough to keep you happy while running on a living OS where things actually work.

I know that W10 on ARM was supposed to be the killer feature on Surface Phone, but who cares? Most of the apps and features that people want from other platforms aren't available on W10 desktop anyway, so it's a moot point. I was a devoted Windows Mobile user for 15 years, but it's finally time to accept reality. Microsoft lacks the competence and desire to compete in this segment of the market.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
But this is what smartphones are for, and Android and iOS have filled that niche. It's not the 90s anymore; Nobody wants to carry a PDA in addition to their phone. This is the whole reason modern smartphones exist in the first place.

There are very few of these devices remaining, and most businesses who used them have switched to Android-based devices. The Windows Mobile 6/ Pocket PC form factor is about 20 years old now. I still smile nostalgically when I spot one in the wild, but those sightings have become few and far between.

Look guys, I was as much of a die-hard as you all. I wanted to believe. I drank the Kool Aid. But it's over, and Surface Phone will never happen. You're talking about an expensive premium device that offers nothing compelling to enterprise users and even less to consumers. The Surface Phone already exists, and it's the Note 8 with your favorite Microsoft services installed. With its stylus and DeX, and a 6"+ screen, this is the type of thing we should have received two years ago instead of the 950. You can install a tile launcher and theme, and it ends up approximating the Windows Mobile experience close enough to keep you happy while running on a living OS where things actually work.

I know that W10 on ARM was supposed to be the killer feature on Surface Phone, but who cares? Most of the apps and features that people want from other platforms aren't available on W10 desktop anyway, so it's a moot point. I was a devoted Windows Mobile user for 15 years, but it's finally time to accept reality. Microsoft lacks the competence and desire to compete in this segment of the market.

Nobody more than me believes that there's no surface phone, I counter Jason Ward on most of his pieces as I dont see fabled surface phone make any impact, that said I do see the market for WoA and enterprise mobile devices.

Believe it or not Windows mobile 6/6.5 is still active on EDA's and handheld computers etc, and then there's windows embedded and windows handheld, at some point MS needs to refresh these OSs as android is now competing here.

I'm holding a Note 8 as I write this so yes I'm with you, for a consumer this is the real working surface phone, but there are niche usecases for the fabled foldable device but it will not replace a smartphone, at most it will try to replace ipads.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I slipped and broke the screen my 950xl a couple of days before the announcement. I thought I'd wait for the surface phone and breathed life back into my girlfriend old oneplus 2, I'm now running android 8.0 (Oreo) AOSP ROM..

I'm no Google fan, far from it.., but now I'm using Android its far more user friendly and stuff just works. I've now even started using chrome properly for the first time and I think this is where it'll go, diehards will leave the MS eco system and any buzz will disappear and MS pin there hopes on a few huge corporate deals.

If they release the surface phone, or whatever it is soon and if it can use all the hardware I bought for my 950xl (multiple continuum docks, car kits etc) then I'll be first in line.. If not then I'm not sure I will keep throwing money after bad.. as much as that pains me to say..

get an Alcatel Idol 4S. They're dirt cheap at the Windows Store ($125 CAD) and support Continuum. I bought a spare even though there's a risk that I will never ever use it.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Honestly, at this point it's more likely that business will gradually wean themselves from Windows with a combination of Linux and ChromeOS altogether rather than start using a yet to be announced surface phone. Windows 10 has very little penetration into the corporate world. Both my workplaces uses Windows 7 exclusively...and that operating system is eventually going to be phased out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism