Release Day Promotions at Microsoft Stores?

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, everyone. I know some have chipped in on a few different threads here of what their local Microsoft stores were supposedly giving out or discounting on Pro's release day, but I was wanting to see if anyone else has heard anything. I figured it would be nice to compile a thread for others to see and base their purchase location on.

If you want to submit any, please include which location in case these are store-specific. Thanks!

blakej777

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I talked with my local store the other day and one of the employees recommended for me not to buy accessories early, saying her manager was telling his customers to wait until launch day. Sounded likely to me, but never know.

thatguyhugs

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My MS store said that they will most likely continue the RT special so that purchasers of the Pro would receive a screen protector and a case. They even mentioned that they will have a dedicated staff member on hand to install the screen protectors for guests.

tonyz3

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
My local MS store quoted a bundle:
$309 :
- Type cover
-Choice of sleeve
-2 yr warranty- full
-1 yr office 365
-screen protector
- one other thing - but I cant remember....

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
good info, but no sale for me...

only thing there I really want is the type cover... and its some $190 bucks for the other items, which is no small amount. appears the 2 yr warranty is pulling most of that weight... discounting a warranty with 95% margin. meh.

MastrMeatWad

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I wish there was a deal. I called Bellevue, wa and was told no deal nothing special for launch. :(

I called a staples and they had one, one surface period for tomorrow.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have one reserved at the MS store 30 miles from home. I'll call them when they open this morning and find out if there's anything special going on. If not, I'll drive 3 miles to Best Buy and pick one up.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
While at this point I sort of doubt there will be as much celebration as there was with RT, I'm going to go ahead and support the Dallas pop-up here and buy my Pro there regardless. I'm losing out on a good chunk of points at Best Buy, but I'll get over it.

If they do end up doing some sort of deal, I'll update you all.

sturev

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
good luck with that... both Best Buy & Staples don't have the 128 in stock in California... MS is out online, don't know about the physical locations.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have an appointment at a local MS store at 9:30 this morning, and hopefully I'll be able to get the 128 model. I was not able to do a reservation card as I'm an immediate family member of a MS employee, and as such not eligible according to the fine print. Just for the heck of it, I checked BB stock, and I would have to drive 60 miles to get a 64, and there are no 128s available at any of the BB stores in all of Western Washington. Didn't check Staples though.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about where you guys are, but, the Best Buy online inventory system here in MD is terrible. They regularly are inconsistent so, until actually contacting the store I don't put any stock in what they show on the website. When the HP Touchpad firesale was going on, they had a bunch of them in stock but the website said they were sold out.

BTW- I just called my local MS Store and they aren't doing any promotions. They're offering the special bundles but that's it. Heading out to Best Buy now...

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy, none in stock.

Staples, one 64GB in stock.

I load the kids in the car and cruise the 30 miles to pick up my reserved 128GB unit - long line! At least they've assured me its here...

kingraven

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy offering a warranty is a joke. Their warranty is nothing compared to what you get with $99 from a Microsoft store. They have this warranty that covers defects, damages, and offers tech support on the Surface. I haven't found another place that offers that before. For $99, that's not a bad deal. And Microsoft store will also offer to match other physical stores like BB and Staples if they're running specials on bundles. But when I asked about Surfaces being discounted, I got a definitive no. Apparently not even Microsoft employees get deals on these things, so customers sure as heck aren't either. Accessory bundles are the only chance you have to save. And everyone knows accessories are marked up huge, but they're still necessary to pick up (especially when they're good quality products).

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, the pop-up in Dallas/Frisco had a pretty good turnout - near 100 I'd guess by the time I left (I was maybe 15th or so). 128s seemed to be in a good enough supply, or at least no one was giving any indication that they were almost out.

No real promotions were offered, unless you consider the accessory/Complete bundle a promo deal.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
While standing in line at the store, one of the employees came out and took those of us with reservations in. We were out of there it less than 10 min!
I'm home now with the 128GB unit - doing the setup and comparing it side by side with the Series 7 Slate. So far so good!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro