?559.00
incl. VAT

32 GB with Black Touch Cover

?479.00
incl. VAT

32 GB without Black Touch Cover

?399.00
incl. VAT

So... that's priced me out... Hope to god I get a job soon so I can start saving up for the Surface and Lumia. Might get the Surface first, depends what's included on it.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the pricing of the RT is very disappointing. It's priced as high as an iPad 3 which has twice the resolution and what I assume has a more powerful processor (even the kindle fire hd 8.9 has a 1920x1200 display for far less). If they would have thrown in the touch type for $500 I think that would have been a decent price.

With that said I am willing to pay $900-$1000 for a Surface Pro because it runs the full OS, but if it gets higher than that I may pass.

Last edited:

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup...I am in the market for the Surface Pro/lenovo lynx and Lumia 920 but it seems that I am going to have to live with my L900 for a little while longer if i want to get a Win 8 tablet.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
With that said I am willing to pay $900-$1000 for a Surface Pro because it runs the full OS, but if it gets higher than that I may pass.

Why? You can get an Acer full blown Win8 tab for half that price.

Microsoft completely blew it with this. At $499 WITH TOUCH COVER I was going to be first in line at the holiday store. Not anymore. $100 for a keyboard is highway robbery. Even $60 would have been pushing it.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Why? You can get an Acer full blown Win8 tab for half that price.

Just my opinion, but Surface and nothing that comes from Acer do not wrestle in the same league (or probably even same sport..) when it comes to something like build quality and materials.

The W510 was somewhat intrigueing, but it being from Acer is the biggest problem. I read some article from a guy who got a W510 to use for a week and said like performance wise the device is really nice, but the hinges are the devices biggest problem, as I suspected.

Well, for Pro it might be different cos I suppose one would use it a bit differently than the RT, but it isnt about price or "full blown OS". The Acers dont sport even closely as amazing and genious design as the Surface. I would rather not get a Win 8 tablet than get anything else but Surface.

This sounds really ******'ish, I know, but before Surface I had zero interest for tablets and I still dont. The design of Surface is spot on for my use and needs and it's hard to settle for anything other than what Surface is. If someone copies the idea and makes basically a 1:1 device for cheaper, that'll do too, but until I get the design very very similar to Surface, I'm not interested.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
sorry I buy my devices based on price and functionality, not how well they make a table centerpiece. industrial design is overrated with throw away electronics. all the vapormag clicky bull**** in the world will not justify Apple prices.

Reactions: Dr. Impossible

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
sorry I buy my devices based on price and functionality, not how well they make a table centerpiece. industrial design is overrated with throw away electronics. all the vapormag clicky bull**** in the world will not justify Apple prices.

I don't buy them for table centerpiece either, but I also want devices that look and feel good to me, which is why I can't even consider Samsung smartphones. Something that I use so much such as my phone, it really has to be pleasing to my eyes and hands.

I do understand your ideology though and I do that myself too in some genres (I compete in practical shooting and most of my weapons are just butt ugly, but cheap, reliable and accurate), but somehow gadgets for me are in a different league in which I want premium design and quality.

That said, I have too many bad experiences with Acer products. The price would have to be a lot lower for the W510 for me to not cringe at buying an Acer and most likely making some level of a bad investment. Naturally one can argue that Surface is a bad investment but this once again comes down to what one values and prefers, just like with phones. For someone Lumia 920 is the thing, for someone else Samsung Ativ is the thing. For you the Acers seem suitable, for me not so much :D But isn't it great to have choices instead of having like.. Apple have a monopoly on the device?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm just really worried Finland wont see Surface.. I asked a US customer support dude and he said at least the US version cant change language to anything but english. If it's the same for european version, that means I cant even really order it from some other country (UK doesnt ship outside UK and no scandic keys).

I know I'm overreacting here when my country (and most countries) werent listed in this first wave of preorders, but the special nature of the Surface has me worried. It's clear that your run of the mill Acer product comes here, but Surface which is sort of a "reference device in small'ish quantities" might not be a no brainer to have here. I've been bombarding MS Finland and Germany with emails, hopefully getting some answers to relieve my pain! :D

The Acer W510, despite not even close to the build quality doesnt seem too bad except for the hinge.. It would have the pro side of the keyboard dock doubling battery life and a full Win 8, but I'll still take Surface RT any day over that.. But if Finland wont be seeing Surface, I just might have to, meh.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
at this point it is worth waiting to see what Nokia might issue in regards of an RT tablet. The market is wide open for them to release a 7" iPad mini competitor now.

dula714

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Microsoft, it is too expensive for a student like me. I was expecting it to be around $350. I thought Steve Ballmer was telling the true price when he said it will be priced from $300-$800. Oh well... I will wait for a sale or wait for the rumoured Nokia tablets.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I gotta do more reading on what the RT can and cannot do. I expected it to be around 350 - 400. But if devs hit homeruns with the apps, it'll be worth it.

I'm forcing myself to wait for the Pro models.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the pricing of the RT is very disappointing. It's priced as high as an iPad 3 which has twice the resolution and what I assume has a more powerful processor (even the kindle fire hd 8.9 has a 1920x1200 display for far less). If they would have thrown in the touch type for $500 I think that would have been a decent price.

Actually, the assumptions regarding the iPad are classic examples of people assuming it must have higher specs since it is an Apple product. The iPad does not have a more powerful processor. It also does not have a MicroSDXC slot or USB port (it has none at all), touchtype cover, or even comparable internal wifi antennas. Yes, it has a super high resolution screen but I have yet to find anyone who can demonstrate a current use for it other than look at images that often have their own limitations that mean you are still seeing them at their lower native resolution. Yes, an iPad is a nice device but it is not the high end as far as technology other than that screen....

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Here's my 'What' of the current situation:

After reading AAAALLLLL of this 'stuff' about the Surface the last 2 days I really feel it is a great value, in fact I feel like everything that has been announced is priced well. Priced to sell? Maybe not, but I think so. The reason is that when I look at specs, what is being offered compared to price seems right, not overblown, but then not really any amazing 'deals' either. And I feel this way about the Acer's, Samsung's, Surface, etc.

IMO with the amount of ports, the stand, the cameras, and pre-loaded software, I think the price is way better than the same priced/entry level iPad and it's way more of a value. I'll be able to use this Tab as my portable for work which is incredible; small, light, powerful, great software, beautifullly designed, etc.

Now, all that being said, I'll add 2 more things.

I think if they reeeeeeaalllyy wanted to blow the roof off, they would have released the base model at $399.00. I think anything else is too low. The only problem that I see with that, that has already been mentioned but i'll say again, is that any lower than where they are and then they would really be risking alienating, upsetting, insert word of choice, their partners, which is probably not the smartest thing at this point in time. It benefits MS to continue to have partners make hardware and for they themselves to as well. There's plenty for everyone, the relationships are already there, why nuke it?

Summary: I think it is all priced well and I'm gonna pick one up at an MS store when I go away on the 3rd. The Mall with said store is conveniently right on the way to my weekend vacation destination. Yay!

Thanks

-Doc

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Where's the link proving which is better? Processor wise.

Do a search on Tegra 3 vs A5X benchmarks and you'll find that the Tegra 3 is a better processor but the A5X is better at graphics. Of course the iPad with its high resolution needs good graphics. The A5x is dual core with quad core graphics. The Tegra 3 is quad core.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon