Palm Threaded Text Messaging running on T-Mobile Dash

jimmiegeddes

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Everyone that I've shown this phone to has immediately said "that is the coolest looking phone." I'm telling you, you've got to hold one of these to feel how great it is. The rubber and metal casing make it feel solid, yet it's so thin you don't even notice it in your pocket. It's completely usable one handed,lol. The screen is also amazing, it feels like it's widescreen due to being landscape. I also installed set jog bar, which brings back the jog stip that T-Mobile disables (you can use the jog stip like a jog wheel). Wifi on a device this thin and small is awesome. Bluetooth 2.0 lets me listen to Windows Media player with my $40 Motorola BT headset:)

I love that the Palm threaded text messaging works on this phone. I am putting notes together for my review. I want to compare it to the higher end Treo 700wx and Treo 700p, and also the Treo 680 it's similarly priced competitor. I'm supposed to be getting a review unit (680) from Palm, so I'll be able to give some good comparisons.

G-funkster

Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Does this mean that with BTv2.0 you can listen to music without having a stereo BT headset?

That is correct. But also, you might want to because it doesn't have a 2.5mm or a 3.5mm jack on it, it has some usb connector called extUSB which has very few headphones out there which connect directly.

There does exist an adapter for a 3.5mm jack but it looks like this:

To be honest, it brings a tear to my ear to hear about this; I consider this an awful limitation of an outstanding device.

Silver5

May 2, 2004
Visit site
I was using the Palm Messaging application on my iPAQ and then decided not to install it when I did a hard reset. If I had a chat session open it did not give an audible alert for new messages from the person with whom I was chatting. I found that annoying. Also, it started reverting back to the default text messaging application, showing one unread message, yet I could not access it. I am glad to see it go...

I have a real preference for touchscreens but the Dash is enticing. I like what I have seen so far and what others have said about it. Maybe I will pick one up as a backup.

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
I was using the Palm Messaging application on my iPAQ and then decided not to install it when I did a hard reset. If I had a chat session open it did not give an audible alert for new messages from the person with whom I was chatting. I found that annoying. Also, it started reverting back to the default text messaging application, showing one unread message, yet I could not access it. I am glad to see it go...

I have a real preference for touchscreens but the Dash is enticing. I like what I have seen so far and what others have said about it. Maybe I will pick one up as a backup.

What version of the Palm Messaging app where you using? I have Beta 4 with no issues.

Silver5

May 2, 2004
Visit site
Does the "Beta 4" version alert you to messages while your chat with the sender is still open?

The last one downoaded and installed was from 10.29.2006. Is that the latest? I think I will b fine without it though...it was nice to play with but I don't really need it.

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
Does the "Beta 4" version alert you to messages while your chat with the sender is still open?

The last one downoaded and installed was from 10.29.2006. Is that the latest? I think I will b fine without it though...it was nice to play with but I don't really need it.

The latest version of the Palm Messaging app is Beta 4 (11/21/06).

jimmiegeddes

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
It "should" run on the Q since it runs fine on the Dash. I don't know why it's not working on the Q. I've had it running on my Dash since the first day I got my Dash.

ivhs72

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
I love that the Palm threaded text messaging works on this phone. I am putting notes together for my review. I want to compare it to the higher end Treo 700wx and Treo 700p, and also the Treo 680 it's similarly priced competitor. I'm supposed to be getting a review unit (680) from Palm, so I'll be able to give some good comparisons.

I'll be interested in your comments on the battery life of the DASH vs. the 680. I tried the 680 for a month and the battery life was :censored: . I finally sent it (and a replacement unit) back after a month. Got the DASH and am VERY satisfied. The battery life is better than any other Pocket PC device I have used. The only thing that would make it better is to have it as a Pocket PC w/Touchscreen. Who knows that may be in the works.

I have been looking for cases for it, and there are a few that are worth looking at as well. I pre-ordered a Sena magnetic flip case, which is supposed to ship on 1/17. Fortte also has a nice case, one that features a removable front protector, and a wide variety of colors. I also emailed Vaja to see if one was in the works for them, and got a vague reply that it was being looked at, but no release date yet.

:D

jimmiegeddes

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The Dash has amazing battery life. I'm finishing up my 680 review, and the 680's downfall is it's battery. My Dash with wifi, and bt turned on lasts much longer than either of my Treos with a 2400 mah battery.

Palm sent me the 750 and I thought battery life would be similar to the 680 since they share the same battery. The 750 is holding it's own, I am impressed with it.

Last edited:

brmcguire

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
The Dash has amazing battery life. I'm finishing up my 680 review, and the 680's downfall is it's battery. My Dash with wifi, and bt turned on lasts much longer than either of my Treos with a 2400 mah battery.

Palm sent me the 750 and I thought battery life would be similar to the 680 since they share the same battery. The 750 is holding it's own, I am impressed with it.

Are you still using the Palm Messaging app with your Dash? I am trying to get the Palm Messaging app to work correctly on my Blackjack. I don't seem to get inbound messages in the Palm Msg app. It still uses the Inbox. I can however send. Any ideas?

G-funkster

Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Are you still using the Palm Messaging app with your Dash? I am trying to get the Palm Messaging app to work correctly on my Blackjack. I don't seem to get inbound messages in the Palm Msg app. It still uses the Inbox. I can however send. Any ideas?
Oddly enough, on the Q I can receive SMS with it but when you send it won't, er, send. Even though the message does leave the outbox into the 'sent items' folder.

BOO

jimmiegeddes

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I'm still using the threaded text with my Dash, it works fine. I'm not sure why it's not working on the BlackJack. I heard it wasn't working right on the Q though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077