Do you like the Dash?

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
I had the Dash for a while. I'm back to my 650.

I found that I didn't need wifi. I used to think I needed it.

I found that I really like a touch screen. The Dash doesn't have it.

I found that WM Smartphone edition is not up to the task of what I want it to do. Specifically, it is woefully underpowered in its interaction with Outlook.

The Dash is a sweet little toy. Battery life was great. It went into my jeans pocket easily.

You really need to test drive it for yourself. If you aren't driven by managing your life with the task list in Outlook you might like it. If you just want a phone and email/sms abilities, this would be a good machine.

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
I'm using a Dash as my main brain right now, having moved over from a Treo 750v. I ADORE the form factor, HATE the touch-pad volume strip thing, and am actually pretty disappointed with the keyboard (it's not nearly as nice as the Treo's). Wifi is actually pretty nice, though, since T-Mo still hasn't managed to get on the 3G bandwagon. Battery life is better than I expected, but that's not saying too much, as I had *low* expectations. ;)

jimmiegeddes

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I'm also using the Dash and really love the form factor and features. I agree with Septimus about the keyboard, it feels a bit cramped compared to my Treos. Battery life is very impressive for such a small device, and having built in wifi comes in handy.

realitycheck

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
I really need help. I have been using a Treo 600 for years and it has been very reliable - battery life is awesome. I wanted to upgrade to get integrated BlueTooth and better screen res, etc. I tried the T-Mobile Dash and was disappointed with the lack of a few things which I can't live without: can't scroll calendar by week in Windows Mobile and can't set different ringtones for different callers. Also, when I tried the Wi-Fi, the phone time out before a web page came up. The phone processor is SLOW.
So I returned it and just got the Treo 680. To make a long story short, the phone kept saying Check SIM card and kicking me off calls. Also, I charged the battery to full at 5p Friday night and by 9a Saturday morning - without even using the phone once - the battery was drained. Not good! Palm told me to return the phone due to the SIM card problem.
What are my other choices for T-Mobile?!

Clymmer

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Dash - pretty good, not perfect . . . but then again . . . it's WinMob!

I've been using the TMo Dash for about 6 months. I like it overall. The size and screen are great. The buttons make sense. The Joggrbar is fine once you use the freeware jog bar tweak program and mess with the registry a bit. Actually, there's a fair amount of registry tweaking that's required to make it useable, IMHO.

It's a bit slow, but I'm used to seeing the hourglass-equivalent. I came to my Dash from a Palm Tungsten C. So, I was a bit spoiled when it came to speed (400Mhz TC to the 200Mhz Dash), but then again, the TC was twice the size as my Dash. If I had to think twice about lugging my handheld around, then it was too big. With my Dash, I always have it with me because it's so pocketable.

The WinMob platform freezes too much. I reboot my phone 3-4 times a day on average. Mainly, I think it has to do with how the OS mis-manages memory. That's not the Dash hardware's fault -- that's purely WiMoSP from what I can tell.

Even with that, it's still a very good smart phone. I recently found a thread on dashsmartzone.com that described the registry tweak to increase the earpiece volume and that's made it a GREAT phone from a GOOD phone. I used my Dash while at a trade show (lots of ambient/crowd/conversation noise) and I could hear fine. Previously, I had to plug one ear and focus hard to hear in that sort of environment.

The Esmertec Java environment is fair overall, but just a bit quirky. I've actually adapted pretty well to not using a touch screen -- it makes for better one-handed operation really. The keyboard is definitely more cramped than my TC, but the unit's tiny compared to the burly TC. If I need to input that much information, I use my iGo/ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard -- 60-70 WPM input...no thumb board is going to keep up with that speed anyway.

The Camera is fair. My cell reception is pretty decent overall. The speakerphone is good for relatively quiet environments (in the car is fine), but not so good for louder/larger spaces. Bluetooth headset pairing is a snap and works quite well. Same goes with the BT keyboard.

Surfing via WiFi is waaaay better/faster than surfing on the Edge network. Although, if I'm in the car and need to access GoogleMaps...Edge is good enough!

Again, I like the Dash overall. I just wish it was faster (S620 has the same form factor and a 400Mhz processor instead...mmmmmm) and that WinMo actually managed the memory instead of mismanaging it as it does.

Still a thumbs up from me.

C.

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Again, I like the Dash overall. I just wish it was faster (S620 has the same form factor and a 400Mhz processor instead...mmmmmm) and that WinMo actually managed the memory instead of mismanaging it as it does.

C.

I had no idea the s620 had a faster processor! The things you learn.

I have a question for you, though - did you use T-Zones or full internet. The T-Zones thing has always bugged me.

cps6568

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi I've looked thru that site to find the hack on increasing the DASH earpiece volume. Can you point me to it?
Thanks!
Steve

lilcallaway

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I like it

I had the Dash for a while. I'm back to my 650.

I found that I didn't need wifi. I used to think I needed it.

It's always nice though. I use wifi at home with the use of my router.

I found that I really like a touch screen. The Dash doesn't have it.
To each their own...

The Dash is a sweet little toy. Battery life was great. It went into my jeans pocket easily.

Very true indeed...

You really need to test drive it for yourself. If you aren't driven by managing your life with the task list in Outlook you might like it. If you just want a phone and email/sms abilities, this would be a good machine.

Exactly!

Added my thoughts

lilcallaway

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm using a Dash as my main brain right now, having moved over from a Treo 750v. I ADORE the form factor, HATE the touch-pad volume strip thing, and am actually pretty disappointed with the keyboard (it's not nearly as nice as the Treo's). Wifi is actually pretty nice, though, since T-Mo still hasn't managed to get on the 3G bandwagon. Battery life is better than I expected, but that's not saying too much, as I had *low* expectations. ;)

The volume strip is annoying but it can be turned off

TMo does have 3G, just only in certain cities...like Atl

lilcallaway

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I really need help. I have been using a Treo 600 for years and it has been very reliable - battery life is awesome. I wanted to upgrade to get integrated BlueTooth and better screen res, etc. I tried the T-Mobile Dash and was disappointed with the lack of a few things which I can't live without: can't scroll calendar by week in Windows Mobile and can't set different ringtones for different callers. Also, when I tried the Wi-Fi, the phone time out before a web page came up. The phone processor is SLOW.
So I returned it and just got the Treo 680. To make a long story short, the phone kept saying Check SIM card and kicking me off calls. Also, I charged the battery to full at 5p Friday night and by 9a Saturday morning - without even using the phone once - the battery was drained. Not good! Palm told me to return the phone due to the SIM card problem.
What are my other choices for T-Mobile?!
Sounds like you got a bad phone. The Dash does all those things that you want it to do and more. You might want to read the manual or do a google search for other sites. You can even put Nintendo games on it. The phone can do a whole lot. Battery is nice too

lilcallaway

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Actually, there's a fair amount of registry tweaking that's required to make it useable, IMHO.

That's true but the tweaks are worth it...

With my Dash, I always have it with me because it's so pocketable.
Big advantage..

The WinMob platform freezes too much. I reboot my phone 3-4 times a day on average. Mainly, I think it has to do with how the OS mis-manages memory. That's not the Dash hardware's fault -- that's purely WiMoSP from what I can tell.

If it's freezing that much, you might want to load a customized version. I haven't had that problem with Kavana's rom

Even with that, it's still a very good smart phone. I recently found a thread on dashsmartzone.com that described the registry tweak to increase the earpiece volume and that's made it a GREAT phone from a GOOD phone. I used my Dash while at a trade show (lots of ambient/crowd/conversation noise) and I could hear fine. Previously, I had to plug one ear and focus hard to hear in that sort of environment.

There are a whole bunch of tweaks if you just google them. I would give you the name of the best two but they're not hard to find.

Surfing via WiFi is waaaay better/faster than surfing on the Edge network. Although, if I'm in the car and need to access GoogleMaps...Edge is good enough!

Exactly!

Me too!

C.

Me too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes