HTC Kaiser (AT&T 8925) vs. Treo 750

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
can you really compare the kaiser to the 750??? the one drawback of the 8925 is the missing static keyboard compared to the treo. except for that, it is like comparing a rock to a boulder???:shake:

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Can rocks and boulders not be compared to each other? :)
Actually one might want a rock for one thing, or a boulder for another. You need to decide which is more appropriate for your use.

Not so much compares as much as weighing the pros and cons of each and how it affects your use. While the Treo 750 is clearly inferior in terms of the specs, it's conveniences could completely outweigh the benefits of the 8925. But it depends on what's important to you.

I grappled with the decision between the 8525 and Treo 750. While fan boys will state that there is no comparison, that the Treo sucks and the 8252 is clearly superior, I have to say I disagree on some levels.

The way I use my PDA/phone on the go, I find it difficult to deal with the 8525 and the slider keyboard. For text messaging alone the 8525 was a bit inconvenient.
When weighing the benefits of the 8525, none of it mattered enough to not make me want the conveniences of the Treo 750.

Now the 8925. Clearly a (boulder) leap forward in generation of features. Now that scale has shifted. I can no longer ignore the benefits of the HTC super PDA.

Can I forgo the things I love about the Treo design. Now that I've become very proficient with using all of the treo exclusive features, can I give them up?

We'll see. I've decided I can probably do without the Treo "stuff" just so I can have the sheer power and glory of the 8925. I'm getting the Tilt and hopefully won't look back (much.)

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
Can rocks and boulders not be compared to each other? :)
Actually one might want a rock for one thing, or a boulder for another. You need to decide which is more appropriate for your use.

Not so much compares as much as weighing the pros and cons of each and how it affects your use. While the Treo 750 is clearly inferior in terms of the specs, it's conveniences could completely outweigh the benefits of the 8925. But it depends on what's important to you.

I grappled with the decision between the 8525 and Treo 750. While fan boys will state that there is no comparison, that the Treo sucks and the 8252 is clearly superior, I have to say I disagree on some levels.

The way I use my PDA/phone on the go, I find it difficult to deal with the 8525 and the slider keyboard. For text messaging alone the 8525 was a bit inconvenient.
When weighing the benefits of the 8525, none of it mattered enough to not make me want the conveniences of the Treo 750.

Now the 8925. Clearly a (boulder) leap forward in generation of features. Now that scale has shifted. I can no longer ignore the benefits of the HTC super PDA.

Can I forgo the things I love about the Treo design. Now that I've become very proficient with using all of the treo exclusive features, can I give them up?

We'll see. I've decided I can probably do without the Treo "stuff" just so I can have the sheer power and glory of the 8925. I'm getting the Tilt and hopefully won't look back (much.)

i hear what you are saying. boulders and rocks can be compared?!?:eek: but, the problem for me is that the boulder is so much bigger than the rock, or in this case, pebble. i agree that there are the drawbacks of not having the static keyboard. but the problem for me is that palm has been resting on the laurel of that design, while it is great, palm needs to keep up with the competition. i still and will always love the design of the treo 650. even with the 750, it is not a leap forward like the 8125-8525-8925(?). my first converged device was the 650, i have never looked back after that, i have fallen in love with converged devices. but, that love affair ended when the treo 750 came out because after looking at the whole picture, what is so different from the 650-750---no antenna??? oh yeah, the wm os. when you compare the 750 and the 8525, the 8525 has too many features which i can not ignore because of a 'missing' keyboard.

wifi
bigger keyboard
ptt
bigger screen

i will always love the treo design, as of right now, but palm needs to add some features to keep up

gibraltar

May 20, 2006
Visit site
we're currently with verizon, using Treo 700w's. a switch to the "new att" isn't out of the question, because we really need to dump the 700's and verizon doesn't have anythnig compelling in their line-up, at the moment.

Q1 2008 for the 800w with who-knows-what specs, mabye sooner for their version of the Mogul...

The Kaiser still looks like the hottest thing comming any time soon.

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
we're currently with verizon, using Treo 700w's. a switch to the "new att" isn't out of the question, because we really need to dump the 700's and verizon doesn't have anythnig compelling in their line-up, at the moment.

Q1 2008 for the 800w with who-knows-what specs, mabye sooner for their version of the Mogul...

The Kaiser still looks like the hottest thing comming any time soon.

the 700 is a weak device. the 800 will show up when, who knows. the kaiser rocks but it really depends upon what your companies budget is.

gibraltar

May 20, 2006
Visit site
The headaches with the 700 have been so bad, that i can spend "what i need to" to fix the situation. we don't have that many devices, but those we do have need to be reilable as a phone and for e-mail.
I might even look into BB, but i haven't done that yet.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
With the Tilt releasing in as soon as Sept 25 to as late as mid Oct. (which end of that range is hotly debated on HoFo) I'm still in this quandary.

On a regular basis I tap things in on my Treo keyboard such as passwords, etc, as well as frequently use the keyboard shortcuts in WM6 (hold D for delete, M for move mail to another folder, etc.)
On the other hand I'm frustrated with the lack of Wifi, cramped screen, and sometimes slightly sluggish response. I know it's odd but sometimes I want to sit, connect to WiFi, and surf the web or singbox over wifi (not 3G.) I think to myself how much better web surfing would be if I had 320x240.

But then I try to tap a very brief text message response while driving or at a traffic light (yes I know, but I keep my eyes on the road and don't look at the keypad much) which is IMPOSSIBLE to do on a Tilt.

I think I'm going to blow $300-ish buck on the Tilt and give it a whirl (Hey, a 'tilt-o-whirl' what fun) well knowing I may simply abandon it to the drawer and go back to the Treo.

In my twisted logic I think Palm is no longer going to release treo phones that interest me. So if I'll be forced to go to a slider phone eventually (as I don't like the non-touchscreen smartphones) so I might as well get this super power device and get used to it.

Jeffp25

Dec 5, 2005
Visit site
Mine is on the way

I stopped by a local store on Saturday and was told that they'd had a couple in, which had sold immediatelty. So, I called AT&T today (I can't place personal orders over the web at work) and placed my order - I should have it on Wednesday for $300 (after rebates).

I owned the Treo 650 through work and like it a lot, until I drove over it. I then tried both the 8525 and the Treo 750w before deciding on the Treo - the 8525 was a better PDA, but the Treo was a better phone. I changed jobs a couple of months ago and don't get a phone with this job, so I've been waiting for the new Treo (800w?) or the 8525 replacement to come out. The Tilt won the race, and I hope I made the correct choice - I'll miss being able to do most things one-handed, but the extra power and functionality should be worth it.

usernamer

Dec 13, 2006
Visit site
GAL not working on 8925

I got the new 8925 it is fine so far (took a long time to charge 8HRS out the box, and was useless before charging) but so far after configuring the ActiveSync to talk to the Exchange Server (2003 SP2) the Global Address List is not working. It works on my Sprint Treo 700WX WM5, but so far it is not happening on the 8925. Any info on why that is the case?

Thanks in advance.

webedc

May 24, 2006
Visit site
I got the new 8925 it is fine so far (took a long time to charge 8HRS out the box, and was useless before charging) but so far after configuring the ActiveSync to talk to the Exchange Server (2003 SP2) the Global Address List is not working. It works on my Sprint Treo 700WX WM5, but so far it is not happening on the 8925. Any info on why that is the case?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. I just want to report that it works for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb