Media Max?

rblover69

Nov 27, 2007
Visit site
i wouldnt do it , thresholds are now in place to stop that very thing. Unless your only viewing wap sites on your ppc which to me is retarted.

CallMeCrazy

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
People that "Cheat the system" by saying they can use MediaMax packages for ISP vpn browsing, PDA packages for tethering, and avoid getting the correct packages usually get caught. Cell services watch their data usage and I assume they compare it to what plan you're signed up on, and when they see a red flag, like a few gigs of transferring in what should be a WAP vpn only or things like that, they notify you that you violated their TOS.
I highly reccomend the appropriate or even slightly higher packages for internet on the tilt's. I've got a DataConnect package with mine, Let's me use any phone to tether my laptop, unlimited usage, can use PC cards too, for $60/month on a line with voice plan.
Just a tip, dont take it the wrong way, saving you some trouble :D

Crowdawg54

Oct 25, 2004
Visit site
People that "Cheat the system" by saying they can use MediaMax packages for ISP vpn browsing, PDA packages for tethering, and avoid getting the correct packages usually get caught. Cell services watch their data usage and I assume they compare it to what plan you're signed up on, and when they see a red flag, like a few gigs of transferring in what should be a WAP vpn only or things like that, they notify you that you violated their TOS.
I highly reccomend the appropriate or even slightly higher packages for internet on the tilt's. I've got a DataConnect package with mine, Let's me use any phone to tether my laptop, unlimited usage, can use PC cards too, for $60/month on a line with voice plan.
Just a tip, dont take it the wrong way, saving you some trouble :D

While I agree some are cheating the system, and I fully admit I am one of them, to the initial question - it works completely fine. With my 650, 750 and now Tilt, I have continued to use Media Max 200 plan with zero problems. I use EAS, tether my laptop (at times, not a lot) and surf the web on and off during the day and to this point have never been questioned by Cingular/AT&T. I am also realistic that if the day comes where I am cornered/questioned, I will claim my grandfathering clause as an original 650 owner, but if needed - I will switch to the appropriate plan. My comment is not meant as an attack on anyone, simply my experience.

CallMeCrazy

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Just note that you may experience a future bill for your "getting away with it" and using the 'wrong' plans. I'd reccomend getting the appropriate plans for your phone and data usage.
And the following sentence is in no way intended to offend anyone, but it might.
If you say "But I cant afford a $__.00/month data plan" I'll be required to question why you got a Tilt instead of a free phone then ;)
And as far as the grandfathering clause you speak of, I beleive the TOS and plans are updated frequently enough that they wont let you argue that. From what I've heard they cant legally charge you for the data usage without informing you of it first, but they can terminate your account and possibly charge you the early termination fee's if you have any.
Again, in no way is this post meant to offend anyone.

Merlyn_3D

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
i wouldnt do it , thresholds are now in place to stop that very thing. Unless your only viewing wap sites on your ppc which to me is retarted.

Um....okay...heh....and being that the iPhone data plan is basically a media max plan and the iPhone views full HTML/CSS pages, your theory doesn't hold a lot of salt.

Honestly, with ATT saying they don't care what phone you use on your network, it doesn't make sense for them to discriminate against PDA phones over regular phones. I wouldn't be surprised if the PDA plans go away in a little while.

chestvrg#WP

Dec 13, 2007
caxo77.spaces.live.com
My opinion is that they just want to rip you off. Look there at&t a multi-million or billion $$$ company, why should they come up with these discriminatory data plans that apply to pda phones. Look, if you spend watching CV on a 3G razr v3xx or a motto v9, doesn't that constitute to the same amount of data you would use on a pda phone such as a Treo 750 or the tilt? Tell me what is the difference if you used 300 MB watching CV on a razor v3xx (media max 200) or 300 MB downloading emails on your tilt or navigating Google map? Tell me?

breadbooze

Feb 13, 2008
Visit site
I've been on the media max plan for years now on a Premier account, using all sorts of different phones in the process (on the Kaiser for four months now).. they tried to put me on a PDA plan once but I called and they put me back on media max. I'm not a data hog either, if it can't be done on the Kaiser I may as well do it at the office/home. I think there was a similar plan a couple years back, Smartphone Connect, which was basically media max without CV access and the same pricing structure.

Funny how CV doesn't work on my Kaiser, the realplayer on it refuses to load its own files.

chestvrg#WP

Dec 13, 2007
caxo77.spaces.live.com
that's the same plan I'm on: MediaMax (200txt) for $19.99/mo & my tilt works just fine for now, b/f that I used a treo 750 for almost 1 year & b/f that I used a treo 650 for almost 1 and 1/2 yrs & b/f that I used other smartphones with the same plan (a similar one that didn't include 200 txt mgs along w/the plan) and they have all worked w/o any flaws, using internet, connecting to ms exchange direct push accounts, and tethering.

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
that's the same plan I'm on: MediaMax (200txt) for $19.99/mo & my tilt works just fine for now, b/f that I used a treo 750 for almost 1 year & b/f that I used a treo 650 for almost 1 and 1/2 yrs & b/f that I used other smartphones with the same plan (a similar one that didn't include 200 txt mgs along w/the plan) and they have all worked w/o any flaws, using internet, connecting to ms exchange direct push accounts, and tethering.

Whatever you do, don't call in to make any changes to any part of your plan!

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
By "TOS" = "Terms of Service". Actually they mean to be saying "T&C" as AT&T calls it "Terms and Conditions" (not Terms of Service.)

The Terms and Conditions are here:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

People frequently say it "violates the TOS (or T&C)". But go read and search the T&C yourself. I certainly can't find anything that remotely forbids the use of Media Max (or MediaNet unlimited) on a PDA. The T&C explicitly says a a lot about what you can and can't do with different data plans what devices, but nothing remotely close to forbidding Media Max on a PDA.
Why be so specific, but so intentionally leave media max out of the T&C?
I think it's because they don't want to admit that Media Max is a data plan.

It's all fun to debate, but the truth of the matter is AT&T SAYS (verbally) you may not use Media Max on a PDA, and that's pretty much the end of the argument.

"Media Max" (or Media Net unlimited) is actually the identical data plan to "PDA Max", the iPhone data plan, and the Smartphone connect plan.
They're all the same exact thing 100%. The only difference is the price and the name. So no matter which you have and not matter which phone, they all work the same way.

There is a difference when it comes to tethering and data connect plans, but that's not something you need to worry about. (I'm referring to the addition of isp.cingular access point, which you should never need.)

So can you use it?
If you get Media Max on your PDA, you'll be able to use it and keep it just fine. But when you go to upgrade, you'll be forced to change to the "correct" data plan (a PDA plan.) Or if you do something silly like call AT&T to complain about having data connection problems, the first thing they'll ask is what kind of phone you're using and the gig is up. They won't support you until you switch the 'correct' data plan.

AT&T has recently put in place more strict measures in to the computers system to keep the customer service and sales people from allowing media plans on PDAs. There are ways around this of course. But they've made it so that it's much harder to do accidentally.

I'm not going to say if anyone should or shouldn't circumvent the system to get cheaper data. I just don't care enough to preach either way.
The only reason for a difference of pricing has to do with the history of PDA's being largely marketed toward business people who are more willing to pay a higher price for data. Now that PDAs are much more of a consumer phone, they haven't adjusted the sales practices to be in line with consumer pricing.
It has nothing to do with how or how much data you use. The iPhone is the best example of how they've put PDA data at a consumer price point.

So it (Media Max) does work, and it works identically to the PDA plan if you so chose to do that.

chestvrg#WP

Dec 13, 2007
caxo77.spaces.live.com
Thank you so much Taylorh for the discription or link of TOS and pretty much you are right, no-where in there reads that it is forbidden to use a media max data plan on a pda, so 'til then why should we pay more than we have to? I don't have a business, I just use my tilt for checking my emails and occasionally browsing the web. When I get home I turn wi-fi on & connect to my bellsouth/at&t dsl router and thats it.

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Thank you so much Taylorh for the discription or link of TOS and pretty much you are right, no-where in there reads that it is forbidden to use a media max data plan on a pda, so 'til then why should we pay more than we have to? I don't have a business, I just use my tilt for checking my emails and occasionally browsing the web. When I get home I turn wi-fi on & connect to my bellsouth/at&t dsl router and thats it.

You should be fine then -- just be careful you don't go over your allotted amount of data -- AT&T isn't forgiving about that and will make you pay quite a bit even if it's an accident -- or at least in my experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss