Jump Ship: Treo 650 to Tilt

cphil674

Dec 9, 2003
philhower.com
I have taken the plunge and gone over to the WinMo6 side from Palm.

I've never used a WinMo6 device. it's quite the change from the Treo. Still getting used to the differences; memory management, lack of a good threaded SMS app. However, I'm loving the integrated GPS, which worked flawlessly with TomTom5 on the first try. ;-)

Can anyone recommend any tutorials or good threads I can read up on, here or elsewhere??

TIA,

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
I'll second Surur. I'll also *strongly* recommend you think about using a Custom Kaiser ROM. It's scary at first but speeds things up - your PDA history maybe means you might enjoy it anyway. Visor Platinum FTW!

chestvrg#WP

Dec 13, 2007
caxo77.spaces.live.com
I missed a couple of good things that came with the Palm OS treos, but Win Mobile just has it all for now (HSDPA, GPS, VGA screens, ect), and the HTC TyTn II/Tilt has many of those features that Palm just seems to be behind on development. I love my at&t tilt and have also loaded the "unlocked" HTC ROM that ships with the TyTN II unbranded device.

OnTheFly

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site
Hey, I'm jumping from the 680 to the tilt this weekend (ordered it refurbed yesterday). I'm a little nervous b/c I have really appreciated my 680. It has been solid and has always done what I needed. Now I just needed a little update and wanted to play with wif (all the other features of the tilt are nice too!). Anyway, we'll go through this together, I guess.

mr phat pat

Jul 5, 2007
Visit site
on the fly
I hopefully will be on the same boat really soon. I should be getting the tilt for my birthday on the 8th. so please update as soon/frequently as you can for I will be right behind you on the transition from 680 to tilt.

chestvrg#WP

Dec 13, 2007
caxo77.spaces.live.com
I got my tilt b/like to play with my wife's treo 650 since she now has a centro. That 650 used to be mine and I customized to w/all my applications too. My tilt has it all you can ask for, but then again the treos are so easy to use w/one hand operation and specially the palm os treos.

OnTheFly

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site
12 hours in and it's still a bit rocky (I slept for a bunch of those hours so I've only played for a broken up 1-2 hours so far. It sure makes my 680 look easy, but I assume I'll gt more familiar as time goes by. . .

Now to load stuff on it and make it mine! Perhaps that'll help.

On a side note, PIE isn't anything to write home about, but surfing via wifi sure is!!!

jinxman

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
onthefly,
just wait up. have some patience and go through forums. your palm will seem more and more ancient, the more you know how to tweak your device and get hold of programs that are useful. theres load of good software flying around just waiting to be picked end enjoyed.
two things you should try
- opera 9.5 (its mindblowing, a great browser experience on a smartphone)
- styletaps (your palm programs might run with this app)

OnTheFly

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site
well, i've had a love/hate relationship w/ my tilt so far. Every night I go to bed thinking I hate my tilt but wake up in the morning ovin it. it is a change! well, I think I love it now. It is hard to find all the right software to do exactly what you want, but i'm getting there.

by the way, I can't the opera to work. it loads and as it tries to load the page it seems to hand. I have never gotten it to load a page. not one. should I unload the prog and reinstall or is the something I can do to run some tests? suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon