Telus / Canada

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Anyone on a prepaid Telus plan successfully switch from prepaid to postpaid without switching plans?

So far, the prepaid plan has everything I need, except I'd like some voice minutes instead of 15c/min before 6pm.

I currently pay $30 a month. Their site has a listing of plans, and they're all considerably more expensive for less features!
All I want to do is be able to pay through my bank, instead of credit card or those dopey top up cards. I paid through my bank recently and was told by Telus that this pay option is ONLY available to postpaid customers.

Not sure why that makes a difference. But I suppose it's so they can score the extra few dollars off of you, there's no way to "top up" either by credit card or top up card for exactly the plans' cost. Just $10, $25, $50 or $100

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Telus in Canada on prepaid, and no, nothing you can do about the increased costs by switching.

Fact is, if you're spending $30.00 per month, it's still only $30.00 per month regardless of the top up amount at any particular time. If it's exactly $30.00, do two transactions: 1 for $50.00 and another for $10.00 and that'll be 2 months worth. Or, do 3 top ups for $10.00.

It doesn't hurt, either, to have a little left over in the account "just in case". If that "little left over" grows on you monthly, just let it get to a point where you can do less of a topup than you normally would. :)

Long story short, I never have more than 5-10 dollars extra in my account and I find it easy to manage. The little extra time involved is worth when compared to the crazy (My opinion) costs of post-paid plans. ;)

EDIT: Meant to say that I top-up with Interact Online. Makes it pretty simple, actually, to manage your balance.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I always like to have a few extra dollars in there too, but I'd much rather have the option of initiating the balance rather than having Telus force the amount.
Bummer. The post paid plans are most definitely outrageous compared to the $30 prepaid plan.

Interact makes more sense than the cards, but they only accept certain amounts.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Understand where you're coming from.

However, what I was trying to say diplomatically ( :) ) was that you're concerns can be made irrelevant if a little time and thought are used to manage your account. It's a trade off: saved money or added convenience. If the latter is more important to you, maybe the added cost of monthly plan would be worth it to you.

Anyway....just words for thought...nothing more. ;)

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I've asked Telus to switch me to a monthly plan, I was told I wouldn't be able to keep my current plan and they've insinuated I'd need to buy a new phone.
Seems ridiculous, no?

It's baffling how difficult they make their payment system to prepaid customers. When I was Wind, I could pay my prepaid account through my bank account (ANY amount).

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You don't need a new phone, you just need to go on a monthly plan. I am nursing my plan now as I have an insane deal of a plan my buddy who was in the business dept at telus gave me. I cannot ever upgrade my phone, but I can buy another unlocked or full price phone and go that route.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99