15 vs 13.5 for $2500?

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
Pros

1). Smaller more portable.
2). Weighs less.
3.) No fan quieter.
4.) larger SSD with faster write speeds.

Cons
1). Weaker GPU
2). No fan throttles CPU more, less performance.
3). Smaller screen less real-estate

Pros

1).Fan throttles CPU less, more performance.
2). More powerful GPU
3). Larger screen more real-estate.

Cons

1). Larger less portable
2). Weighs more
3). Has fan less quiet? (Not sure)
4). Smaller SSD with slower write speeds?

Now with the 15, memory can be added with a Micro SD or portable SSD.

Now i am keeping it to the $2500 price point because i have to buy a lot of machines for my business. Mainly for software development and more so for graphic design.

Any help would be appreciated.

patb63

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I would go for the 15; it's like buying a four whell drive vehicle if you may ever need it (better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it}

jimm69

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
if the main purpose is graphic design then I would only consider the 15. Not only for the extra screen real estate but also for any GPU rendering needs that you might utilize. I love mine for what that is worth. Just don't rely on the magnet on the pen to hold it in place when transporting. I knock the pen of quite a bit easier than I thought I would. They are expensive so get a bag to carry everything in. That's my biggest gripe so far not having a pen holder or even a way to tether it. Pretty minor gripe but annoying.

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys for the input. I got the 15. The extra screen real estate works well. The smaller SSD isn't ideal but nothing a $400Gb micro SD card cant fix.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I started with a 15-inch, which had some issues and so I decided to try a 13.5-inch as long as I was swapping out machines. I was undecided at that point, but after using the 15-inch had decided that maybe it was too large for me.

Pretty immediately, I decided to return the 13.5-inch because of what's probably that machine's most significant issue: coil whine. It's a general problem (google "Surface Book 2 13 coil whine"), and the unit I got in had it in spades. I simply couldn't use it in a quiet environment (such as in bed late at night), the noise was so loud and annoying.

The 15-inch models I've tried have just a touch, where I have to put my ear to the tablet to hear it. I decided to stick with the 15-inch version, in part to avoid trying to find a 13.5-inch unit without significant coil whine (there probably are some out there, but the process of trying to get one just sounds too tedious to me).

However, in addition, the 15-inch has just grown on me. Certainly, for getting actual work done the larger display is a real plus. And I've gotten used to the extra size. So I changed my mind on that aspect.

I will note that in the machines I've used, the 15-inch does have an issue with hot spots on the display. Both have areas that are warmer, and they're just noticeable enough to bother me at times. It's not a deal-breaker -- the display is still excellent -- but if you're sensitive to such things, you might want to give a machine a try before making your final decision.

Of course, the 15-inch also has a worse case of the power supply deficiency. The 13.5-inch might suffer from it a bit as well, but with the GTX 1050 pulling around 50 watts and the GTX 1060 pulling around 80 watts, you're less likely to run into circumstances where the machine needs to pull from the battery. That happens all the time on my 15-inch, in all kinds of applications (not just hardcore gaming), unless I keep the power slider all the way to the left on "Recommended." And then, of course, performance is still good but not nearly as good as when the system is running at full speed (and pulling from the battery).

So, just some extra food for thought for anyone who's on the fence between the two.

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
With me I got a business discount so I paid $2350 for the 15 with 256GB. For me $400 isn't a big deal but what you are really paying is for piece of mind. But that piece of mind is 256GB and $400. The write speeds on the 512GB ssd are better than the 256GB version but how often do you write on the SSD?

I put a hard cap on what I was willing to spend on this laptop. Personally I just bought the $400GB micro SD since it can be used with future laptops not just this one. On a 512Gb that is gone once you move up and will have to pay for the size all over again.

Knock on wood but I got a perfect machine with no problems at all. I haven't even heard the fans yet. My machine has been silent with zero noise. I Say the 512 isn't worth it but that is just my opinion. I have 208GB left as I just use the SSD for the OS and apps and use the 400GB micro sd as storage. Thats 608GB for my use. Plenty enough.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well I somehow qualified for military or student discount from MS using my MS account. I got the 15" 512 GB SB2 that was priced at 2899 for 2609. All the SB2 are discounted even the 13/5" ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss