After Microsoft invested $10 billion, OpenAI snubs Windows 11 as it releases ChatGPT app first on Mac. “We’re just prioritizing where our users are.”

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
If only Microsoft had a mobile platform... Where A.I. users are. Of course only consumers apparently use A.I. so business'ers don't need it.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
As I said here a long time ago, it's going to be hard for MS to push "AI" since they have no consumer products.

"Windows Copilot is a webview, powered by Microsoft Edge. It does not use Windows 11's native UI framework, known as WinUI. The ChatGPT app on Mac uses SwiftUI, which is the Mac's native UI platform, and as a result is an app that is fast, fluid, and looks beautiful. Windows Copilot is functional, but you can't call it fast, fluid, or beautiful."

I wouldn't call anything on Windows 11 "fast, fluid, and looks beautiful."

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

alec sander

May 14, 2024
Visit site
nearly every article I read from windows central has made stupid claims recently. windows built ChatGPT directly into the operating system and has licensed gpt 4 already. so openai is attempting to not compete with MSFT...

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
As I said here a long time ago, it's going to be hard for MS to push "AI" since they have no consumer products.

"Windows Copilot is a webview, powered by Microsoft Edge. It does not use Windows 11's native UI framework, known as WinUI. The ChatGPT app on Mac uses SwiftUI, which is the Mac's native UI platform, and as a result is an app that is fast, fluid, and looks beautiful. Windows Copilot is functional, but you can't call it fast, fluid, or beautiful."

I wouldn't call anything on Windows 11 "fast, fluid, and looks beautiful."
You're conflating two things: the OS and the development platform. C#/WPF app dev is just as easy (if not moreso) and is more flexible. In fact, with the right theming you can make apps that work and look exactly like MacOS apps (yes, even with a menu bar).

In fact, frameworks like AvaloniaUI, MAUI, Project Uno, OpenSilver etc make it possible to have one codebase for crossplatform dev with UI tailored to each platform. Uno and MAUI even use the native controls ON the platform to ensure 100% normal behavior. So in reality, developing on Windows first makes more sense as there are no equivalents on macOS to go the other way.

That being said, you've actually nailed a big problem: that devs want to do web for Windows and are ok doing desktop dev for macOS, which given the hell maintaining said app is trying to keep up with Apple's capricious approval system and random requirement changes... suggests this is more a platform preference than ay real benefit.

And yes, I've done dev on all of the platforms.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoresAdrowe