Alienware 17 R5, screen flickers, auto restart, on battery only

tuanlaptopgaming

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
Recently my Alienware 17 R5 (Core i9 8950HK, GTX 1080) when running on battery only, screen flickers, and often hangs and restarts on its own.

This does not happen when using the charger.

I put the battery in an Alienware 17 R4 and it worked perfectly.

I also changed another battery the situation is still the same.

This is not a battery fault, but a hardware related problem.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 many times and it will still fail as described above.

Is it the fault of the Nvidia GTX 1080 card? But it's confusing that it doesn't fail when used with the power supply.

Appreciate any help, thanks !

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did your laptop take any type of fall or hard bump lately? I'm thinking that the battery pins may have a spotty connection. Do the issues happen when the device is sitting still where the battery isn't getting moved at all? If it doesn't do it when plugged in, there's something happening with that removable power supply connection - at least that's what it sounds like from your brief description. That's a hard one...

tuanlaptopgaming

Jul 11, 2022
Visit site
The problem occurs when the laptop is lying still. And it has never been dropped or hit hard.

I have replaced 3 batteries for this laptop but the laptop is still often frozen, sometimes the hello windows screen freezes even though it just turned on after a long night of waking up.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply - it doesn't sound like an easy one to diagnose without testing voltages and connections. It could be battery connection, but it also could be voltage issues to a circuit or chip, bad point on a board, lots of possibilities. You may need to send it in to a good repair center to diagnose (ouch).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo