All in with the Band, Surge returned

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
With some regret and reluctance I packaged up my Fitbit Surge for return today. Really wanted to make it work, but it just wasn't up to my expectations. The last straw was a head-to-head two day evaluation with the Band. I wore the Band on one wrist (non-dominant) and the Surge on dominant wrist, with the appropriate set-up adjustment. HR mostly agreed for normal day to day, but when exercising, the Surge fell flat. With any circuit training type activity where the Band registered 120 to 140 (as did my carotid pulse measured manually), the Surge would measure 70, 80....hardly ever broke 100. Treadmill use showed fairly close between the two. Spinning, the Surge usually under reported.

The Surge averaged 1 to 2 thousand steps over what the Band calculated per day. It also insisted on crediting me with 8 or 9 flights of stairs climbed daily, when my day was pretty much dead flat. Never had a chance to check out the GPS on the Surge, but to tell the truth, after reading all the puzzled and sometimes angry posts about it on the Fitbit help forum, I was a bit scared to even try. Some of the demonstrated mapped runs were really laughable when compared to what was actually run.

The Band's screen is so bright and colorful compared to the Surge. In the dark, even with the backlight, it was almost impossible to see, and a touch of a shirtsleeve would always swipe it to some screen other than what I wanted to see.

As I've mentioned previously, the one feature I'm going to miss is the auto sleep function. Seemed to work very well, and I sometimes fall asleep having forgotten to put the Band in sleep mode. Oh well, that wasn't enough to justify keeping it when the Band seems to perform so much better in other areas.

What with the ever-changing state of the tech, who knows what might be coming just down the pike? But for now, I'm 'all-in' with the Band, for better or worse. Its really the only viable option for windows phone right now, imo.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your comparison. I can't wait to try out my Surge. How did the battery life compare between the two devices?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your comparison. I can't wait to try out my Surge. How did the battery life compare between the two devices?

Oh, the Surge wins there, for sure. four to five days easy (without GPS, of course). I never really tried to run it down, might well have gone the full advertised 7 days. Trouble is, I had to take it off for a while daily anyway, or else it bothered me. So I'd just end up throwing it on the charger while showering and stuff in the morning, same as what I do with the Band.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajjad1122