Another Windows convert - with a few issues...

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Andy - I always forget the FM radio - I will try that later. I tend to listen to 6 music quite a bit, which is DAB only, sadly, so an app is needed.

Yea, if only 4 Xtra was available on FM. Or the Pure radio app was on WP. I use TuneIn but the best I can say is that the WP version is much better than the Win8 version. You could try the iPlayer app. Wish we had DAB.

Erick Rmz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Firmware is done by Nokia, not Microsoft. Microsoft is responsible for the OS updates. Given the erratic behaviour of his battery it might just be a faulty battery and not firmware or OS. It doesn't look like anything is clear to you.

Well, may be I use not rigth words but if you search in a lot of forums, will find battery issues are quite common; just one or two cases I read was for phisical defect in it. Most, points to SOFTWARE problems, and seems as it is in most part microsoft's responsability 'cause WP lacks of a good battery management. Impossible to know which app is draining batt as in other OS. Is frustrating to see how your phone one night suddenly drains all batt charge during night without apparent reason. Not reliable if you use it as alarm to wake up.
Hopefully, these issues may be will corrected in WP 8.1 as this is a relatively new OS and need fixes... But I hope no new patches would be necessary quite often like in PC's.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Mister K

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
OK, after a week with the replacement phone I have had mixed experiences.

Battery life has been good. On a normal day I charge before going to bed, and then use the phone during the day for checking emails and news, listening to music, 1 or 2 calls and sometimes a 15 minute gaming session at lunch. I have been showing 45-50% remaining when I stick it on charge in the evening. This is pretty good, I think, especially as I have WiFi and Bluetooth on at all times.

At the weekend I went to London for the match and by 6PM as I was down to 20% but I had used Maps and taken quite a few photos, uploading some to Facebook plus a few calls and quite a bit of browsing too. Again not bad at all.

Connectivity in the main has been more reliable BUT the phone lost signal a few times yesterday and then locked up completely, requiring a hard reboot to get things going again. I wonder if my sim card is playing up (it is nearly 2 years old) - I have ordered a replacement just in case. Notwithstanding that, I am rather unimpressed that the device can lock up in this manner. I've just noticed that I have no signal again as I write this. Ah, back again.

I am sad that these issues (connectivity and freezing) are causing me to question the wisdom of my switch. If I could find an Android device that could get somewhere near my particular requirements I am afraid that my Lumia would find itself on Ebay.

Maybe the new sim will help. Maybe Windows 8.1 will blow me away. Here's hoping.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Let us know how the new sim works out. The whole signal and locking up issue is really weird, I think part of it might be contributing to the battery drain.

Mister K

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
OK, well all seemed to be going well with my phone, then today I noticed... no signal. Also I noticed the battery seemed to be on 100% after a couple of hours. Odd. When I went into the networks setting it showed Vodafone 2G and 3G but when I tried to connect I got no signal. A few reboots later and nothing.

Then, whilst writing this I notice all back to normal, connected to the network and the battery is at 93%! Now this may be due to Vodafone being utterly crap, but the Lumia 1020 has tried my patience to the limit. The way it handles errors and problems is shocking, and it is not a device I can rely on. I am really, really fed up.

Has anyone got a link to Nokia to complain before I stick the thing on Ebay and, reluctantly, go back to Android? (Heaven knows what I'll get though, I can't think of a single piece of hardware as suitable to my needs - in concept anyway - as the 1020.) I feel very sad. :-(

Erick Rmz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Look at twitter and search for nokia accounts. I heard about one issued resolved by support of a tweet at the right place.
Sad to hear about your problem. Hope you can get a satisfactory answer from nokia.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Sound and settings profiles. I know that this is probably going to be addressed to a degree by 8.1, but coming from Android where you can have different profiles which adjust ringer volume, media volume, vibration, notifications, lockscreen settings, and have them activated based on different criteria (time, location etc), the Windows uber-simplistic approach is hard to take. I'm certainly not expecting MS to allow location based anything on Windows, but time based profile switching (involving all settings) would be really great. In the meatime, is there any way to switch vibration on and off without going into the settings (i.e. via a shortcut?)

This is my ONE MAJOR CON. I do Emergency Services/First Responder stuff in addition to my day job. From time to time, I have to silence my phone for meetings and what not. I would KILL to be able to set the ringtone for my ES stuff to ALWAYS have an audible alert. Blackberry could do this 10 years ago. I am hoping the 8.1 update will allow for this, but I will believe it when I see it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss