Apple adding this feature to iOS 18 in 2024 is so basic it hurts my brain, and it makes me miss Windows Phone

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
The only thing Windows Phone wins is 'doing it first'. But sadly, Apple is still the bigger winner here since they're still here, have leadership that didn't give up on them, and has actual users and an ecosystem full of most apps you can think of.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"...have leadership that didn't give up on them..."

That was not the issue with Windows phones. The problem was they were losing billions of dollars every year. For several years. It is the CEO's JOB to kill products like that. If he failed to do that, then he would have been fired and replaced with someone who - on day 1 of his/her new job - killed Windows phones. That's how it works.

Today, MS is the most valuable company in the world, with no phones! The fact is, killing all of the money-losing products (phones, watches, music streaming and so on) worked out just fine.

Cmndr_Bytes

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
"...have leadership that didn't give up on them..."

That was not the issue with Windows phones. The problem was they were losing billions of dollars every year. For several years. It is the CEO's JOB to kill products like that. If he failed to do that, then he would have been fired and replaced with someone who - on day 1 of his/her new job - killed Windows phones. That's how it works.

Today, MS is the most valuable company in the world, with no phones! The fact is, killing all of the money-losing products (phones, watches, music streaming and so on) worked out just fine.
Except said CEO admitted it was wrong thinking.

"The decision I think a lot of people talk about and one of the most difficult decisions I made when I became CEO — was our exit of what I'll call the mobile phone as defined then. In retrospect, I think there could have been ways we could have made it work by perhaps reinventing the category of computing between PCs, tablets, and phones."

Because of that decision a lot of markets are now closed off from MS unless they can come up with something unique to get back into it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill S