Apps You Would Like To See

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
All MS apps and the typical Android apps that I use. I am sure many apps will not initially be designed for the Duo, and that may come in a later software update.

Last edited:

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
not specific apps but below are the app categories which makes most sense imo.

reading apps : pdfs , ebooks, comics etc reading with one page on each screen just like actual books.

gaming & emulation : with the one screen acting as virtual gamepad it makes most sense for dual screen devices.

remote desktop : with one screen acting as monitor and other as virtual keyboard & virtual trackpad.

mobile photo & video editors : second screen provides all controlls & tools.

web browsers : opening tabs on both screens

file managers : that supports multiple instance , drag & drop.

note taking apps : where one screen acting as scribe pad.
etc.
possibilities are endless.
using single app on dual screen interface will be fun but I believe doing multiple things together is better advert for the dual screen devices & that is their biggest advantage over normal phones.

Lobo Technician

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I would say good Photoshop implementation would be nice, to take advantage of the larger screen. Outlook, with the inbox on one screen and the actual contents of the selected email on the other, and PowerPpoint with the list of slides on one side and the actual slide you are working on, on the other.

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
My biggest excitement for a dual screen device really is multitasking. I am finding I am doing more and more on my phone constantly switching between apps which really is a pain. I think it is a stupid term, but my "flow" really is interrupted having to close out of and switch back between apps on my phone while I am doing stuff.

not specific apps but below are the app categories which makes most sense imo.

reading apps : pdfs , ebooks, comics etc reading with one page on each screen just like actual books.

gaming & emulation : with the one screen acting as virtual gamepad it makes most sense for dual screen devices.

remote desktop : with one screen acting as monitor and other as virtual keyboard & virtual trackpad.

mobile photo & video editors : second screen provides all controlls & tools.

web browsers : opening tabs on both screens

file managers : that supports multiple instance , drag & drop.

note taking apps : where one screen acting as scribe pad.
etc.
possibilities are endless.
using single app on dual screen interface will be fun but I believe doing multiple things together is better advert for the dual screen devices & that is their biggest advantage over normal phones.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My biggest excitement for a dual screen device really is multitasking. I am finding I am doing more and more on my phone constantly switching between apps which really is a pain. I think it is a stupid term, but my "flow" really is interrupted having to close out of and switch back between apps on my phone while I am doing stuff.

This.

If the Surface Duo allows me to read a book on one-screen whilst keeping an eye on my email on the other then I'll be happy.

But I anticipate at launch that many apps either won't support both screens or won't be fully optimised to do so.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Genuinely curious. What do you prefer with Cortana over Google's Assistant? Not bashing one or the other I just interested in your thoughts about it.

Because I want to abstract me far away from Google environment as much as possible. In fact, I hope the Surface Duo come with a custom Windows IU, as the Windows Phone's had. And finally, I don't want Google to catch my personal info throught their assistant.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Because I want to abstract me far away from Google environment as much as possible. In fact, I hope the Surface Duo come with a custom Windows IU, as the Windows Phone's had. And finally, I don't want Google to catch my personal info throught their assistant.

Unfortunately, as MS apparently worked 'very closely' with Google on the Android OS for the Duo, it most likely will have at least the standard level of Google integration for all of their apps and services.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Genuinely curious. What do you prefer with Cortana over Google's Assistant? Not bashing one or the other I just interested in your thoughts about it.

This is a Microsoft fan forum. These desires generally have little to do with capabilities, and more to do with the vendor.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately, as MS apparently worked 'very closely' with Google on the Android OS for the Duo, it most likely will have at least the standard level of Google integration for all of their apps and services.

I suppose it. Then, I will try a Launcher or something like that.

In any case, in my opinion Microsoft must do something to sell the device as a "Windows product". If they sell it as another common Android device, they won't win anything at least.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I suppose it. Then, I will try a Launcher or something like that.

In any case, in my opinion Microsoft must do something to sell the device as a "Windows product". If they sell it as another common Android device, they won't win anything at least.

You are right. MS needs a key differentiator that sums them up. Chances are they won't include one though, but it may come with all MS apps (including MS Launcher) all preinstalled on every device as default.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
You are right. MS needs a key differentiator that sums them up. Chances are they won't include one though, but it may come with all MS apps (including MS Launcher) all preinstalled on every device as default.

When you say "it may come", do you mean that it's confirmed or is what they should do? I'm not updated in news about the device.

Thank you.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
When you say "it may come", do you mean that it's confirmed or is what they should do? I'm not updated in news about the device.

Thank you.

I mean it is not confirmed by Microsoft yet. But, they did this with Samsung, so it makes sense they will do it for their own device too.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I mean it is not confirmed by Microsoft yet. But, they did this with Samsung, so it makes sense they will do it for their own device too.

I hope you will right, it will be great!

When are we going to receive more news about the Surface Duo? Is it any event soon?

Thank you.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I hope you will right, it will be great!

When are we going to receive more news about the Surface Duo? Is it any event soon?

Thank you.

I have no idea. But I hope it is soon! I am interested to know more about MS's launch plans (i.e. what countries they will launch in, and the price). But for now, it's a lot of speculations and rumours. But keep an eye on this forum and you should hear all about it.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I have no idea. But I hope it is soon! I am interested to know more about MS's launch plans (i.e. what countries they will launch in, and the price). But for now, it's a lot of speculations and rumours. But keep an eye on this forum and you should hear all about it.

Of course I'll do it. In fact, I'm checking this website every day since more than year, searching for news about the Microsoft devices.

Thank you and hope to see news soon! :wink:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Of course I'll do it. In fact, I'm checking this website every day since more than year, searching for news about the Microsoft devices.

Thank you and hope to see news soon! :wink:

There is also a Facebook group for the Surface Duo you can join to get the latest news and just talk with other Surface Duo fans. I'll let @rodneyej post the details for you here, in case you didn't see the other thread he made about this.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
There is also a Facebook group for the Surface Duo you can join to get the latest news and just talk with other Surface Duo fans. I'll let @rodneyej post the details for you here, in case you didn't see the other thread he made about this.

Thank you again. I didn't know about it (I don't have a Facebook account), but I will check it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria