As Windows 10's death looms, Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 11 because it will help you stay updated on celebrity gossip, stocks, and we...

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
"Widgets are new for Windows 11. They’ll help you stay up to date with all the things you need to keep tabs n, like schedules, weather, stocks, sports—even celebrity gossip."

Actually, they're NOT new. Win 7 had them. And Win 8 had live tiles which is similar. They vanished for Win 10 (sort of, technically they were still there).

jesseinsf

May 28, 2024
Visit site
They meant "all news from sports to the latest celebrity gossip". They weren't focusing on celebrity gossip. journalists are dumb these days trying to make a buck from misinformation

OldSuferDude

May 29, 2024
Visit site
What happens to computers that don't have the necessary hardware to run Windows 11? Do they just get "thrown away"? Where is "away"? I suppose the thinking is that the Earth has infinite resources. Hint: it does not. Peak tantalum occurred four years ago.

OSD

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
They meant "all news from sports to the latest celebrity gossip". They weren't focusing on celebrity gossip. journalists are dumb these days trying to make a buck from misinformation
Assuming the "news" are the same garbage they show on the bing page (the only effect personalizing them did was limiting the amount of sport-related articles) it's a bunch of click baity, sensationalistic titled articles with nothing useful.
Not really a good reason to upgrade. And don't get me started on the widget panel spinning off an entire msedgewebview2 for each widget, that is definitely not welcome.
What happens to computers that don't have the necessary hardware to run Windows 11? Do they just get "thrown away"? Where is "away"? I suppose the thinking is that the Earth has infinite resources. Hint: it does not. Peak tantalum occurred four years ago.

OSD
Mine are turning into penguin reserves. My laptop has been running Fedora for the past three years almost flawlessly, I only have some minor issue when running things on the discrete 'GPU' but that was garbage to begin with and caused nothing but troubles even under Windows (thanks AMD) so it's still an improvement.

Reactions: Jack Pipsam

2pretty4tv

May 29, 2024
Visit site
As Windows 10's end-of-support looms, Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 11 because it's a great resource for weather updates, stocks, and celebrity gossip.

As Windows 10's death looms, Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 11 because it will help you stay updated on celebrity gossip, stocks, and we... : Read more
Windows 11 S mode is designed for the sole purpose of Microsoft app purchase. In S mode you can not dowload anything outside of the store. Called Microsoft they realize that the system has been down for 4 days and yet there is no soultion to the problem. I would wait to install windows 11 until they have worked out all the bugs. Proceed with caution.

lcbrownz

May 30, 2024
Visit site
As Windows 10's end-of-support looms, Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 11 because it's a great resource for weather updates, stocks, and celebrity gossip.

As Windows 10's death looms, Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 11 because it will help you stay updated on celebrity gossip, stocks, and we... : Read mre
I guess many seniors (who have 6-10 year old PCs) are out of luck because they will not spend the money on a new computer unless the old one turns into a brick.