At&t as a WP7 carrier

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So, due to the way the US wireless industry is set up it looks like at&t is going to be an option I have to seriously consider if I want a top tier WP7 device in 2012. VZW and Sprint are out as they use CDMA and being able to use an unlocked device of my choice is paramount and only possible with a GSM provider.

As a Tmo user in the DC/Maryland area can att users give me their opinion of the service they get, looking at coverage, call quality, holding connections, data speeds, monthly pricing, etc. We've heard for years how bad att is, is that really currently still true? Especially useful to hear from Tmo users who have switched. Thanks.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I have friends in Owings Mills, Maryland, that we go out and visit. During the day while they are at work, we normally take the train into D.C. I've never had any reception issues on AT&T between Owings Mills, Maryland, downtown Baltimore and D.C.

jonsmith89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have never had a problem with AT&T in regards to reception or customer service. I feel like most of AT&T's flack comes from iPhone users in really really large cities (New York) and that is mostly due to the actual iPhone. I can be sitting beside someone with an iPhone on AT&T and all they do is complain about dropped calls and spotty service and blah blah blah blaming AT&T, yet I always have 3G coverage with maybe one dropped call every 2 weeks. But I'm not a big talker or traveler.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
The only issue in DC is that until very recently, only Verizon worked on the Metro system fully and Sprint users could roam onto Verizon's network using voice only, no data. No GSM antennae were in the tunnels and underground stations. I know that finally AT&T are getting antennae placed in the tunnels, but it's still spotty. But if you don't take Metro, AT&T is pretty good in DC. Verizon is still better in more places in DC but AT&T is a reasonable choice.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
I had AT&T here in NYC and I hated every moment of it. I actually dropped out of my contract early, paid the fee and said so long. Every one else would have service and I had none. There's a shopping center with an AT&T tower nearby. I never had service in any store, or indoors for that matter.

But from what I understand AT&T is better outside of new York. Figures. I think you can drop out of contracts within the first 30 days or something with out penalty. If doesn't work for ya then stop the service. Ask em if they offer that.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. Seems NYC is the bogey area for at&t but is decent mostly everywhere else, at least in my area. Metro service is not critical for me, I remember when Tmo didnt have it and I'm really on there for just a short time so thats not an issue. I did check their site and went through creating a new line and its more expensive than my current plan with Tmo, but ultimately not much I can do if they have the best devices. We'll see what happens at CES in January.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra