Best photography forum

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So I just got a Canon T3i, and I am very excited to start learn more about photography. Just as this is the best WP forums anywhere, I would like to find the same in photography. If you could, give me suggestions on forums that cover all photography, ones that focus on dslr's and ones that focus on Canon and the T3i.

Thanks!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what is your definition of best, but 1) DPReview, 2) Fred Miranda, 3) Digital Photographer are those I've been to. Only in dpreview.com that I have an account.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest contacting George Ponder, one of the WPCentral writers. He used to work for a photography magazine, so he would probably know.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what is your definition of best, but 1) DPReview, 2) Fred Miranda, 3) Digital Photographer are those I've been to. Only in dpreview.com that I have an account.

I guess "best" isn't a great choice of words. I want the following characteristics: knowledgeable, friendly, non-snobby (I'm looking at you xda-developers), large community

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
There's a really large Canon DSLR group on Flickr and the forum section is really active and generally helpful. Plus, it's Flickr so there's lots of photos. :)

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
There's a really large Canon DSLR group on Flickr and the forum section is really active and generally helpful. Plus, it's Flickr so there's lots of photos. :)
This is a good reco. I was a member of Flickr specific group D90 and D800 although I don't participate. :)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are interested in doing video be sure to check out Magic Lantern.

As far as photo forums go there is snobbery and "artists" on all of them. There are people that will tell you what you really need is full frame, or this particular brand or tell you all you need is an iphone. Just ignore the extremists and pick out the good information. dpreview is decent. Photo.net is nice to ask questions on. flickr is also good to search for answers.

I own a T3i and it is an excellent camera. You'll have fun. Just take it one step at a time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you are interested in doing video be sure to check out Magic Lantern.

As far as photo forums go there is snobbery and "artists" on all of them. There are people that will tell you what you really need is full frame, or this particular brand or tell you all you need is an iphone. Just ignore the extremists and pick out the good information. dpreview is decent. Photo.net is nice to ask questions on. flickr is also good to search for answers.

I own a T3i and it is an excellent camera. You'll have fun. Just take it one step at a time.

I agree with you. The Canon vs Nikon debates existed before digital photography and online forums existed. I used to belong to a local photography club, and the 35mm folks always debated the merits of Canon vs Nikon.

The debates (and snobbery) back in the day were also pretty common amongst the users of 35mm vs medium/large format. Some people thought anything other than medium/large format was bad.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. The Canon vs Nikon debates existed before digital photography and online forums existed. I used to belong to a local photography club, and the 35mm folks always debated the merits of Canon vs Nikon.

The debates (and snobbery) back in the day were also pretty common amongst the users of 35mm vs medium/large format. Some people thought anything other than medium/large format was bad.

When it comes to people and their tech, there will always be battles.

BTW, what is the max size of an image we are allowed to post on here? Honestly, I have never had a camera that was good enough to matter before now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
jpeg.gif
jpeg
976.6 KB
jpg.gif
jpg
1.91 MB

Members online

No members online now.