Bing Gallery discontinued?

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey, guys! I haven't seen any news regarding this topic. I'm sure many of us love Bing images, and there are even many great apps that bring these images to us. But as I have seen a while ago, Bing Gallery no longer works. If one tries to visit Bing, they would get redirected to the Bing search page. I've noticed this first when I saw that the archive in Daily Pic app doesn't work. The developer later made an update replacing the archive button with a share button. That's the most they could do.

And, as I can see, the gallery is still off. Does anybody know anything about it? It is such a shame that they did this, that used to be such a great thing. Luckily, we still have these images, but - we no longer have the gallery. They just have to kill everything that is good.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even notice that... sad to see it gone.

If I remember correctly, the gallery was a side project that a few people started, it was never intended as a real official feature. Could be that those people are no longer working on Bing and so they couldn't support it anymore. Based off the copyright notice it might not have received any updates since 2014.

According to the Wayback Machine, it was changed to a redirect on July 27th. https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.bing.com/gallery

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all this information. :)

I didn't know it was a side project. But it was really cool stuff. Too bad that Microsoft doesn't appreciate these nice things that actually make them look cool. It would cost them virtually nothing to keep those servers running at least. Luckily, I've been downloading tons of these images. :) Now I know I won't be deleting them any time soon. :) Maybe I even burn what I've got on a disk.

EDIT:
On the other hand, this gallery had all its pictures with their descriptions, which was really great. I like using wallpapers with stuff I know at least a little bit about. With Bing Wallpapers I've come to dislike having background pictures with stuff I know nothing about, including on which continent the shot was taken.

Sent from mTalk on Windows PC

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo