Black Screen After Factory Reset

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I spent 2 weeks waiting for my laptop to restore factory settings, after a bugged software update, and I am now faced with a black screen.
There is no mouse icon and none of the keyboard shortcuts seem to have an affect.

I'm scared to pull the old "off and on again" because I was told that it may damage the device.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am at my wits' end.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I have a couple questions and suggestions, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

I would say at this point it is safe to restart the computer, IF it has a removable battery you can try removing it and THEN unplugging. Or you can try holding down the power button for around 30 seconds. Ok, have you tried booting in to safe mode? USUALLY this is done by pressing the F8 button as the computer is first starting. I usually tap it to make sure it presents the boot menu, from this menu you select Safe Mode, OR Safe Mode with Networking. SOMETIMES you are required to select Advanced if you don't see those choices. Ok so does the computer boot in to safe mode? You can then try the factory reset again. If that does not work, then you want to try to go to the BIOS screen, that's the software UNDER the software, it's what controls the computer hardware, usually from this screen you will be able to run a diagnostic. Now the procedure for entering BIOS mode varies, it could be any of the F keys, F1 or F2, OR one of the last ones, F10, F11 or F12, OR escape or delete. Sometimes it says which key as the computer is starting. IF you can get in to the BIOS, then select the diagnostic, and see what it says. Let me know what you find. Also you can google any error messages or diagnostic beeping you get and you MIGHT find info on your problem.

Additionally you might still have some warranty left, so it may not be a bad idea to try calling the manufacturer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs