Bought the Surface Pro 4 today. (An upgrade from Surface Pro 2)

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Today I picked up the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 from the store today.

I bought the i5 model with 8gb ram and 256gb hard disk. Initially I wanted to get the i7 model and then I watched some videos on youtube and if people can play some hard core games with the i5 Model then it will be perfect for me since I will not play any hardcore games. I have the Xbox One for that.

Also I do plan on buying the next best thing from Apple or Microsoft next year so it makes good sense to save the money.

I also was initially confused between the iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 4. Then comparing the two in terms on price and what I wanted to do, it became clear to me that Surface Pro 4 with full desktop OS support and double the ram and hard disk at the same price will be more worth it.

So with my Surface Pro 4 I picked up a dark blue keyboard cover. Didn't want to get a black one this time as I wanted something different. The light blue one was not available but upon checking the demo unit, I noticed that the light blue one will get dirty easily at the edges. It will be horrible to have a dirty cover to carry around. The red cover may be more appealing to the ladies or guys who like to have such colors.

I also picked up the Surface Pen Tip Kit. Will come in handy when trying different styles of writing (pencil, ball pen, etc).

Finally I also picked up the Office 365 Home Edition. It can be used for 5pcs and 5 tablets or Phones. I got it for only HK $498 (US $65). It is a good deal as I can share with my wife and also for my computer at the office and can also give 1 account to my parents so that they can get 1TB storage for their photos. Next year if I buy the Surface Pro 5 then I will probably buy another one for 1 year usage. For HK $500 (US $65) it is a must have add on to the Surface and other computers I have.

I wanted to get accidental damage cover like what Apple provides with Apple Care but sadly Microsoft doesn't offer it in Hong Kong. We only get 1 year warranty in Hong Kong. It is fine because I will be upgrading next year for sure. Rather save the money and use it for something else.

I am now looking for a carrying pouch. Any suggestions where I can buy one? Do let me know.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing!

Yup the Ipad "Pro" runs a mobile o/s, hardly appropriate for a tablet designed and geared for productivity.... not to mention the so called pencil needs charging frequently compared to the surface pen. Just be wary of dropping the surface pro 4 pen, some users have claimed that the pentip broke when they dropped it. I don't have one so I can't attest to the fact it may be true or not :(.

Wait, did you get the entire bundle for $498?! :winktongue:.

Joking aside, is $498 for a annual license of office 365 home a typo?

It costs ?79.99 here in the UK and $100 in the US :confused:.

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing!

Yup the Ipad "Pro" runs a mobile o/s, hardly appropriate for a tablet designed and geared for productivity.... not to mention the so called pencil needs charging frequently compared to the surface pen. Just be wary of dropping the surface pro 4 pen, some users have claimed that the pentip broke when they dropped it. I don't have one so I can't attest to the fact it may be true or not :(.

Wait, did you get the entire bundle for $498?! :winktongue:.

Joking aside, is $498 for a annual license of office 365 home a typo?

It costs ?79.99 here in the UK and $100 in the US :confused:.

No it is not a typo. I should have mentioned that the amount was in Hong Kong dollars. My mistake. Have updated it already. That was only for the Office 365 though.

Thanks for making me aware about the Surface Pen. Will try to be careful with it. Though I do have a 4 year old daughter who loves to draw and color. She has been using the pen with my Surface Pro 2. I know when she tries the pen with the Surface Pro 4, she will like it even more.

I got the pen tip kit, too.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No it is not a typo. I should have mentioned that the amount was in Hong Kong dollars. My mistake. Have updated it already. That was only for the Office 365 though.

Ah okay, that makes sense :).

Thanks for making me aware about the Surface Pen. Will try to be careful with it. Though I do have a 4 year old daughter who loves to draw and color. She has been using the pen with my Surface Pro 2. I know when she tries the pen with the Surface Pro 4, she will like it even more.

I got the pen tip kit, too.

No problem at all and I agree she sure would love using the new surface pen :), my nephews and nieces love using their parents Sp2 / Sp3. Who were initially holding out for the ipad pro but when they realized it was really no different then their other ipads they took the plunged and got the Surface Pro.

They like the fact they can draw on one note and it's on their laptop so they can colour it in with the mouse. Kids are very fast learners and can adapt to tech much more proficiently :).

Not to mention the risk you have with the apple pencil and the charging port as invariably kids will break that charging connector lol...

The ones who opted for the Surface pro 2 was because it was cheaper and they wanted to see how it went before spending big bucks on the latest gen.

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I found a carrying pouch today at a shop on my way home. Since I was in a hurry I didn't test the size. The shop allowed me to come back to exchange for another size bigger (12.2") or smaller (11.6") if the one I got doesn't fit well. Got the pouch for about US $12.00.

Will test later after my family gathering. Hope it fits. Surface Pro 4 Pouch.JPG

Last edited:

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I tired my pouch and it is slightly big. Will go back to the shop and change for a smaller size (11.6" case). They told me that someone tried 11.6 and it fits but I was silly to get the 12.1". The Surface Pro 4 moves around inside the pouch. Hopefully the 11.6" size will just fit.7b.JPG7a.JPG

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, i suppose you have lot more space for peripherals :winktongue:.

Yes but I didn't feel comfortable and swapped the pouch for a smaller 11.6" one. I tested it at the shop and if fits the Surface Pro 4. However I forgot to take my keyboard cover along with me. I am hoping it should still be fine with the keyboard cover.

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Here are some shots of my blue keyboard cover and my Surface Pro 4 (with the Glass Screen Protector installed). I changed my sleeve pouch (12.1") to a smaller (11.6"). It is a perfect fit with the pen attached to the side.10.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Good to see and hear the pouch fit :)

Also with the latest Windows 10 update, you can now install apps to your msd card slot.

Thanks for the pictures, I'm sure they will be of great help for others deciding on what sized pouch to get :).

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am going to create a recovery drive with my USB Drive. This USB drive I had also used for my Surface Pro 2 a year and half ago. So will use the same USB drive.13.JPG

MCube74

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Good to see and hear the pouch fit :)

Also with the latest Windows 10 update, you can now install apps to your msd card slot.

Thanks for the pictures, I'm sure they will be of great help for others deciding on what sized pouch to get :).

Won't the apps run faster from the internal hard disk? I thought it will be best to save documents and excel files in my microSD so that I can transfer than easier. I will also put the photos, videos and MP3.

WIll use the internal hard disk for install programs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte