Buying the New HP Spectre X360 with Radeon Graphics - Questions

731 Woodworks

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

I’m new to the forums. I’ve been using Macs since 2008 and am coming back to Windows in the next few days. I am looking forward to it. I have decided to buy the HP Spectre x360 15T with Intel® Core™ i7-8705G (3.1 GHz, up to 4.1 GHz, 8MB cache, 4 cores) + Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics (4GB dedicated memory).

My main use is for my woodworking business and YouTube Channel. I’ve been using my iPad Pro for video editing and it’s been a pain to say the least lol.

So my questions - I’ve watched every review I can find on the Spectre x360 but there are none with the new chipset listed above. Correct me if I am wrong, but those specs should be able to edit 1080p video easily?

Also, while not a hardcore gamer I do expect to do some gaming on this laptop. Will those specs be good enough to play modern games?

Anyone have a guesstimate on what the battery life will be like on this laptop?

And does anyone know of any coupons that will work to save a little money from HP.com? Lol.

Looking forward to getting back to Windows and using that beautiful x360 in dark ash with a 4K screen. Thanks for any info you can give me even though I know some will be speculation at this point since it is so new.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi 731 Woodworks and congrats on the new computer! :) I haven't seen any current promotions from HP, but it never hurts to check the RetailMeNot website and see if any of the discounts they list help you out.

731 Woodworks

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Just to update this thread I had to return the X360 due to overheating issues, lagging and constant crashes. I made a video, if anyone is interested, I’ll post a link to it on YouTube.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just bought an HP Envy x360 with the i7 (8th Gen). I am a light user though, so I haven't experienced overheating, lagging, or crashes.

Did you buy something else? I can see why you want something other than an iPad for video editing. A Mac computer would be a common solution for a use like yours, especially if you already use an Apple device.

731 Woodworks

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
I just bought an HP Envy x360 with the i7 (8th Gen). I am a light user though, so I haven't experienced overheating, lagging, or crashes.

Did you buy something else? I can see why you want something other than an iPad for video editing. A Mac computer would be a common solution for a use like yours, especially if you already use an Apple device.

I ordered the Dell XPS 15 9560. They have them on sale so I got it for $480 off! The new 9570 with the 8th gen chips are due any day so they are selling the 9560 with good deals. I opted for the non touch 1080p version for better battery life. I got the i7, 16 GB RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive for just over $1600 after taxes. So I feel like I got a decent deal. I hope it will do what I need. Reviews are good on it.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I ordered the Dell XPS 15 9560. They have them on sale so I got it for $480 off! The new 9570 with the 8th gen chips are due any day so they are selling the 9560 with good deals. I opted for the non touch 1080p version for better battery life. I got the i7, 16 GB RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive for just over $1600 after taxes. So I feel like I got a decent deal. I hope it will do what I need. Reviews are good on it.
, just keep in mind that it does not have a good gpu (unless you bought one that has either a 1050 or 1060 nvidia gpu), so do not expect to be able game properly on it (except for older and indie games ofcourse, and ofcourse programs like Photoshop should run well enough). While the Spectre you had with the new Vega m gpu is similar in speed to the 1050 Ti (which is absolutely amazing in such a small form factor), so that one can run all games but not some not on 4k*. While the 1060 is almost twice as fast as the 1050 (but also eats way more power), and the 1050 Ti about 30% faster compared to the 1050. Not entirely sure but to put things further in perspective, the 1050 Ti or vega M should be quite a bit faster than the 555/560 found in the new highend Macbook Pro's.
So 1060 > vega M (though could probably use some driver updates) > 1050 Ti > 1050 > 555/560 > intel igpu

*: not taking into account possible throttling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb