Choosing MS device for everyday working life

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Dear friends!
Help me, please, to choose the best device for everyday work.

1) Surface Laptop
2) Surface Book
3) Surface Pro

Typing (10 hours a day), so I need ideal keyboard experience.

Programs - MS Office 16 + extra add-ins like PowerPivot, PowerMap, then SPSS, Stata, R, Statistica, Acrobat DC, Finereader, SmartDraw, Adobe pr-ms, etc.

What do You think?
I am writing here, because I think, that the SL is better in typing experience, than SP and more modern, than SB.
If I am right, which color should I buy? Which is more practical? Platinum?

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

When in store, I liked the Type Cover keyboard (which I later bought) more compared to Surface Laptop in terms of typing comfort. This was important to me, as I also do plenty of fast typing (translation jobs). The keyboard is really gorgeous, smooth and tactile. The keys have a great feel to them. Big plus of the device.

There are some cons of it, like the micro arrow buttons, oddly placed Home/End buttons (these were on the arrow keys on my previous Sony Vaio, which I found to be a great solution) and the missing Insert key, but they don't bother me too much.

kodos78

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Surface Laptop has a superior typing experience. But the Surface Pro is not too far behind. The thing that gets me about the Surface Pro Type Cover is the slight amount of flex and the relatively uncomfortable typing experience on the lap.

But I like the Surface Pro's form factor -- I like taking it to bed to do web browsing and video watching. So what to do? I got both...

I actually find that I don't have an 'ideal' Windows device. I have a ThinkPad P50 for a QuadCore (32GB of RAM) powerhouse for Virtual Machines and intensive development work. But it is heavy and hot and a pain to travel with. Then I have a Surface Laptop for doing document work -- doing research and typing papers and stuff like that. The Trackpad is so fantastic and so is the lapability and the keyboard. It is really great for typing long papers.

Then I have the Surface Pro for when I want to write notes (especially since I do Hebrew and Greek Biblical translation work). It also is great to browse the web with or if I really want to take just one device and travel lightly.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Of those three I'd go Laptop or Book, but I'd also consider a Latitude or ThinkPad if you want something more robust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb