Considering getting the Microsoft Edition of the Galaxy S8

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have really loved using Windows Phones (currently Lumia Icon) ever since Windows Phone 7 came out. The HTC Trophy on Verizon was my first smart phone. Unfortunately the battery life on my Icon running Windows 19 Mobile in the Preview Ring has become unacceptable. There have some apps I wish I could use, but for the most part I am satisfied with what is available.

There are two main reasons I am considering switching to the Galaxy S8. 1) No newer Windows Phones available on Verizon (I am not changing carriers). 2) My work will soon be eliminating support for Windows Phones to get email due to not enough users to make it worth supporting internally.

With all this in mind, I went into my local Microsoft Store and asked about the current status of the Microsoft Edition of the Galaxy S8/S8+. Due to various comments I have read here, I was concerned about the ability to sync my multiple email accounts, calendar and contacts. The person I talked to said that with the Microsoft Edition, they install the full suite of Microsoft services and replace some of the Samsung default apps with the Microsoft equivalents.

So I am wondering if anyone here has gotten the Microsoft Edition of the Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+, and how is it working for you.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Does Microsoft sell one that works on Verizon? I believe they only carried the AT&T version at launch, but that may have changed since then.

The S8/S8+ sold by Microsoft is no different than what you'd buy from AT&T or Samsung.com. The Microsoft reps in the store will help you install the Microsoft suite of apps, but if you do that yourself, you'll have exactly the same end result. You'll need either the Verizon or US unlocked versions to work on Verizon.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft does have the Verizon version available. The rep implied that they have a special process and agreement with Samsung to replace the Samsung services with the Microsoft ones.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
The person I talked to said that with the Microsoft Edition, they install the full suite of Microsoft services and replace some of the Samsung default apps with the Microsoft equivalents.

Any idea of Cortana replaces Bixby on the dedicated hardware button? Apparently, on the normal S8 (not the Microsoft version) it is impossible to reassign that button. This is the only thing preventing me from buying this phone right now.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I ended up buying the S8+ from the Microsoft Store last Tuesday. So far I am okay with using it. There are a few things that are taking a little getting use to. I thought I didn't mind the app gap, but now that I have access to the Play Store it would be hard to go back to Microsoft's next attempt at phones unless the app gap is resolved.

As far as the Bixby button, I am not aware of any ability to have Cortana mapped there. There is a procedure to have the Bixby button disabled that I read about in Android Central, but it requires you to have a Samsung account first so you can get to the step to disable. I have not taken the step of creating a Samsung account, but might if I keep hitting the Bixby button to offten. It is bad enough that I had to create a Gmail account so I can access the Play Store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte