Created recovery drive incomplete? What is missing?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Running W 10 pro, 64 bit architecture. Toshiba Laptop, 16 mg. ram, hard drive has 235 gig used and 683 gig unused space. I used the create recovery drive tool from MS. Also, used the one found in my Control Panel.

I used a 32 Gig. thumbdrive. Instructions on line say I will need more than a 16 gig thumbdrive. The created recovery drive I made only used 5.34 gigs. I have done this two times...same result both times.

I suspect some of the files I need for complete recovery (system files) are not present though I checked that box before creating the backup each time.

What files are missing that should have created the nearly 16 gigs expected? How do I create a complete backup onto the tumb drive? I am more than willing to start over.

Files now on the backup thumb drive are: boot, efi, sources, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi and reagent.xml. I don't see anything that looks like my existing system files

My sincere apology in advance if I missed a post on this subject. I looked first! Please post a link to the solution.

Thank You! Any help sincerely appreciated!
Richard L.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

It may be that SOME stuff is available via "the cloud" App from the Microsoft store for example MIGHT just be set to download as needed on recoveries, and/or Microsoft OneDrive might be involved. Probably ONLY critical files, drivers and such are saved on the recovery thumb drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatboy7000