Dear Microsoft: STOP asking me to OneDrive sync my local folders — it's stupid

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
And there's a new push to mirror your desktop to OneDrive that's positively infuriating.

It messes up some utilities and if you're like me, and use your desktop as a DESKTOP (think table) and do all your fiddly work there then move to another folder (or even just leave it there) you get constant whines about how deleting files means deleting it everywhere.

My work laptop has this turned on by default, but since I'm working from home, it's on MY Internet connection, and I've noticed OneDrive now sets this up by default unless you're paying attention and prevent it. I do all my work on the D: drive on my work laptop now just to avoid it.

Seriously Microsoft, just STOP it. You're not Apple. You can't tell your customer how to work.

Reactions: philadopolis

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
While your at it, Microsoft, can you fix the ability for programs to make desktop shortcuts with every update? Adobe is the worst at this.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you open Settings in OneDrive and uncheck the boxes for those folders. OneDrive will stop backing them up.
yes, this isn't about that, it's about the fact they keep asking me. also, when the android version of onedrive updates, it resets my folder settings.

dw this post wasnt that serious.

gmalone

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
Though I will take Windows over Apple any day of the week, it has become disheartening to see such glaring evidence of poor design, especially when it comes to OneDrive implementation. Dual documents folders is just one example. It is not a logically organized system for the most part. And by god, it is the slowest cloud service I've ever used. Bar none. What's that about? Still, in order to stay out of Google's Clueless ecosystem, I am using OneDrive. Other cloud systems feel riskier to me because who knows if they will even exist a few years from now. Microsoft at least will still be around. But god get their marketing people out of tech development! I've often wondered if people who work in management, especially executive management, at Microsoft even think about the user experience. It seems often they are too close to the trees to see the forest.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
@gmalone i wonder the same mate. often times like.. the design consistency is annoying, but some of the decisions made with regards to app delivery etc is maddening. the past 2 days ive been fighting with downloads from the xbox app, no explanation from inside the app what was wrong. some weird way the app interacts with windows services stopped me from being able to uninstall something, clear the queue. was like a printer jam. drove me crazy.

i do prefer onedrive too, its overlal the best for me, but aye, it could always be better!

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Though I will take Windows over Apple any day of the week, it has become disheartening to see such glaring evidence of poor design, especially when it comes to OneDrive implementation. Dual documents folders is just one example. It is not a logically organized system for the most part. And by god, it is the slowest cloud service I've ever used. Bar none. What's that about? Still, in order to stay out of Google's Clueless ecosystem, I am using OneDrive. Other cloud systems feel riskier to me because who knows if they will even exist a few years from now. Microsoft at least will still be around. But god get their marketing people out of tech development! I've often wondered if people who work in management, especially executive management, at Microsoft even think about the user experience. It seems often they are too close to the trees to see the forest.
Will someone please tell Microsoft that the best marketing is a stellar, friction-less product that even an old person can understand without their grandchildren explaining it. There's no need to beg and hound in your advertising when you have a product that just works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05