Decision between Lumia 1520 and 1020 as ONLY device on around the world travel, which should I get?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Decision between Lumia 1520 and 1020 as ONLY device on around the world travel

I am trying to decide between this Lumia 1020 and the 1520 to be my only device as I go on an around the world travel. I would go with this one over the 1520 because of this wonderful camera performance, but was worried I might not be able to edit video on the device itself? Maybe that is a silly question but I am a smart phone novice so bear with me., But, I really dislike how giant and conspicuous the 1520 is(but do recognize that is nicer on the eyes when it is your only device). I also have a go pro. But, I don't know if I will be able to transfer those videos onto either phone and edit/upload them from there. Let me know. Maybe I am crazy for thinking that is possible. (I hope it is because the less electronics the better!!) Gratitude in advance for your help, if you find time to answer. :)

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Decision between Lumia 1520 and 1020 as ONLY device on around the world travel

between those 2 choices, it would definitely be the 1520. the 1520's better battery life is going to be much better then the 1020, which can be important if you don't know where your next stop is. the bigger screen helps if you are using electronic books/ travel books, as well as looking at maps. the 1520 also has sd card slot expansion, which is always nice if you are storing videos and such.

transferring files wirelessly from a camera like a go pro could be difficult, but i think with the 1520, you could simply pull the micros sd card from the gopro and insert it into the 1520. I've never had to do this with my 1520, but i don't see why it wouldn't work. there are definitely video editing apps that you can use for your videos.

All this said, if I were traveling around the world, and knowing what I know now about both the 1520 and 640xl, i would get a 640xl. It uses dual sim, which can be nice for getting sims in different countries, and more importantly, they're microsim, not nanosim like the 1520. I think the microsim is a much more available sim then the nanosim. the 640xl is much easier to pull apart and transfer sims/sd cards then the 1520, which requires a paper clip or pin.

the camera on the 640xl I've felt is good enough that i would use it over the 640xl. i've never liked the 5mp+16mp format of the 1520, because it never played nicely with other apps. the 640xl just gives you a 13mp picture. I also like the focal length better on the 640xl, as well as the aperature. the only real benefit of the 1520 is OIS, which helps, but isn't always that reliable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss