Default language always changing on my Windows Phone - help?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Hey Cortana stopped working on my Windows Phone recently

I am using Cortana across multiple devices in Canada.

On my phones I have the region and set to the US along with the formatting to match. This allows Cortana to work (or at least a lot better) and was fine for the longest time.

Going to Cortana settings would freeze on my phone.

I then went into settings - Time & Language - and speech, noticed the default language was Canadian English. I set it to default to US English - ta da! It all works now.

However it will stop working, and I will then go back to the Speech settings - it has reverted back to Canadian English. If I go back to default it to US English - all is well again.

Any idea what is going on?

Help?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
In my experience, I too had to set the region of my last Windows Phone (HP Elite X3) for Cortana to have any use. How frequently does the language change back? Are you doing anything in particular on your phone at the time before the language changed?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, I too had to set the region of my last Windows Phone (HP Elite X3) for Cortana to have any use. How frequently does the language change back? Are you doing anything in particular on your phone at the time before the language changed?

I am not making any changes to the settings, if that's what you mean. Just normal usage - WhatsApp, surfing, using the occasional app.

Last night it seemed to work for a few hours.

On reboot - it was back to Canada as the default.

On my HP Elites x3 - region set to the US and language to match. Just like my current phone (Alcatel Idol 4s)

But - the default language is set to US - still. HP Elite x3
The Idol 4S - Canada as the default.

Hmmm......?

Thanks for responding.

Mr. V

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am not making any changes to the settings, if that's what you mean. Just normal usage - WhatsApp, surfing, using the occasional app.

Last night it seemed to work for a few hours.

On reboot - it was back to Canada as the default.

On my HP Elites x3 - region set to the US and language to match. Just like my current phone (Alcatel Idol 4s)

But - the default language is set to US - still. HP Elite x3
The Idol 4S - Canada as the default.

Hmmm......?

Thanks for responding.

Mr. V

Does it always happen upon restart? Are you doing anything special on the phone at the time you think the language gets changed? It may be getting overridden by an app or something like that, every time you perform a certain action.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Does it always happen upon restart? Are you doing anything special on the phone at the time you think the language gets changed? It may be getting overridden by an app or something like that, every time you perform a certain action.

It is not even reboots, after about an hour it goes back.

My desktop - the region is set to Canada - do the devices all try to sync to a single device?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It is not even reboots, after about an hour it goes back.

My desktop - the region is set to Canada - do the devices all try to sync to a single device?

What language is Cortana set to on your phone and desktop? If they are both different, setting them to be the same langauge may help. I guess you are signed in to the same MS account on your phone and desktop too, what region is that set to?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
What language is Cortana set to on your phone and desktop? If they are both different, setting them to be the same langauge may help. I guess you are signed in to the same MS account on your phone and desktop too, what region is that set to?

Region on my desktop - Canada!....I do that so I can make purchases

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
If possible, I would suggest a factory reset to see if that helps? It's a bit extreme, but it may be worth trying.

Maybe I will get around to that.
I suspect my desktop which has the region set to Canada is taking precedence over the mobile - both use the same account.

I have just stopped using Cortana

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I will get around to that.
I suspect my desktop which has the region set to Canada is taking precedence over the mobile - both use the same account.

I have just stopped using Cortana

Sadly Cortana was never available where I am based, unless I changed the region to USA. I never saw the use of Cortana either really.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven