Dell XPS 15 (9530) review: The cutting-edge laptop that pushes boundaries but with odd limitations

martini

Apr 24, 2023
Visit site
This exclusion seems a little too future-forward to me in an Apple-esque way since many PC accessories on the market, including many of my latest go-to accessories, still use USB-A.

If you're buying a prestige laptop like an XPS, then just suck it up and get a damn thunderbolt dock. USB-C -> USB-A adapters are also a thing and are very cheap.

After 8 years of USB-C being standardized, we are allowed to start moving forwards.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
This exclusion seems a little too future-forward to me in an Apple-esque way since many PC accessories on the market, including many of my latest go-to accessories, still use USB-A.

If you're buying a prestige laptop like an XPS, then just suck it up and get a damn thunderbolt dock. USB-C -> USB-A adapters are also a thing and are very cheap.

After 8 years of USB-C being standardized, we are allowed to start moving forwards.
I mostly agree, but OTOH, laptops like Samsung's and Lenovo's DO keep Type-A ports (and, for Samsung, full HDMI).

then just suck it up and get a damn thunderbolt dock
I don't see that as a solution for people who travel or don't want a full desktop setup. I'm unclear how that's related to not having Type-A on the go.

USB-C -> USB-A adapters are also a thing and are very cheap.
The review points out that Dell nicely includes an adapter in the box for that. But, as someone who travels, it's pretty easy to lose those adapters. Even if you don't lose it, it's a bit of a PITA to dig into your bag to get it if you just want to use a Type-A thumb drive.

I think the bigger criticism is just that: As laptops get bigger (15", 17" class), the excuse not to have a wider variety of ports becomes less justifiable. Or, at the very least, it is worth pointing out as some people will be bothered by it more than others.

martini

Apr 24, 2023
Visit site
I mostly agree, but OTOH, laptops like Samsung's and Lenovo's DO keep Type-A ports (and, for Samsung, full HDMI).

I don't see that as a solution for people who travel or don't want a full desktop setup. I'm unclear how that's related to not having Type-A on the go.

The review points out that Dell nicely includes an adapter in the box for that. But, as someone who travels, it's pretty easy to lose those adapters. Even if you don't lose it, it's a bit of a PITA to dig into your bag to get it if you just want to use a Type-A thumb drive.

I think the bigger criticism is just that: As laptops get bigger (15", 17" class), the excuse not to have a wider variety of ports becomes less justifiable. Or, at the very least, it is worth pointing out as some people will be bothered by it more than others.
Most "on the go" accessories use bluetooth (to avoid the inconvenience of wires), but accessories are a personal thing so I suppose someone has a wired mouse or wired headset they can't give up. In such cases: there would be no reason to ever remove the adapter if your "on-the-go" laptop only has USB-C ports.

You can buy a pack of 3 adapters for $9, and leave them permanently attached to these 'latest' devices you need on-the-go. Voila, "losing the adapter" problem totally eliminated.

thumb drives with BOTH ports are a common thing, and have been for years. so again the question is: If someone is spending thousands of dollars on a prestige laptop, why should they balk at spending $15 to replace their increasingly-more-limited USB-A-only thumb drives?

I'm not a fan of apple products, but I gotta hand it to mac users: when they buy an expensive flagship device, they quietly accept that it brings a -tiny- bit of inconvenience when they are determined to use their obsolete accessories.

After a few years with my XPS 15, i'm personally thankful that there's no USB-A ports, because those ports are slow, inconvenient, and not necessary even for those legacy peripherals I bought 5+ years ago.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm not a fan of apple products, but I gotta hand it to mac users: when they buy an expensive flagship device, they quietly accept that it brings a -tiny- bit of inconvenience when they are determined to use their obsolete accessories.
The thing is, if you go to Apple forums/comments, a lot of owners want things like SD card readers and more port variety. They "go along with it" only because they literally have no choice in the market. Windows users do, which is good, and why we offer alternatives to this device like the new Samsung Galaxy Book3 Ultra or the upcoming Lenovo Slim 9i Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soste