Despite its big OpenAI push, Microsoft's Bing search market share decreases year-over-year

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Ever since chatGPT integration, I actually use more Bing than Google to search for stuff. Google only points questions to a specific website or websites that might have answers to my question. Bing with ChatGPT interacts with me, if I'm looking for something specific, it will spark a discussion, that leads to other new findings.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Ever since chatGPT integration, I actually use more Bing than Google to search for stuff. Google only points questions to a specific website or websites that might have answers to my question. Bing with ChatGPT interacts with me, if I'm looking for something specific, it will spark a discussion, that leads to other new findings.
I think Bing could and should create a healthy feedback loop between creators and users, but right now it's a race to the bottom. If Bing puts websites out of business, where will it get the answers from?

Reactions: Bla1ze

Robin Sayer

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This article is probably showing a few things.

1) Microsoft are notoriously bad at describing their own products. I use Bing search and Edge for everything, and it blows my mind - how poorly Microsoft promote that its business customers can search every work email, every work conversation, every meeting, every work document, every work news post or wiki page - all from within Bing. Yet I've never seen Microsoft promote that fact.

2) Why search? Surely the idea Microsoft and the rest of us should be understanding - is that AI negates the need for search. So Bing is not a good measure, if AI is doing its job - wouldn't we see the total search market going down, and the use of Copilot for Windows, or ChatGPT 4 going up.
I don't want to search any longer - I want CoPilot to search for me.
So the uptick for people like me - wouldn't even show on these graphs

Robin Sayer

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I think Bing could and should create a healthy feedback loop between creators and users, but right now it's a race to the bottom. If Bing puts websites out of business, where will it get the answers from?
It's time for a change. something needs to give.

Google, facebook and social media sites have already killed a lot of curated content creation in exchange for the opinion of the masses, thumbs up and likes.

There has to be a better way to organise content on the Internet which doesnt scatter quite so much information around.
The internet treats the world like its hundreds of billions of notice boards all over the planet - which you can magically find and read.

Social media consolidated those notice boards into a fewer number of shared boards - which hang off of a particular topic (Reddit), person (facebook/twitter), movie (imdb), product (amazon).

CoPilot is going to do the searching for you - but what I would like to see, is the AI being used to fact check, the AI to be constantly measuring the quality of content and comparing it.
I want the AI working out what is content created by experts.

What AI hopefully can do is separate opinion from facts. Although not if Elon Musk has anything to do with it.

dave_456

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
For me Bing chat and Github Copilot has replaced at least 50% of my web searches, probably way more. I really only do a traditional web search now when I do online shopping.

Of course Bing chat and Github copilot searches would not show up in stat counters results.

fabzo45

Nov 14, 2023
Visit site
Most people fail to mention the competition between ChatGPT and Bing AI itself. We have "Browse with Bing" capabilities on ChatGPT Plus, and believe me, it's actually better than using Bing AI itself. It's funny to see but vanilla GPT-4 on ChatGPT Plus has outperformed both Bing AI and Copilot Chat over and over again in my case. I don't mind paying $20/month as long as it works better for most cases.
You guys can keep making up excuses, but we all know the reason why Bing AI doesn't take off. The reason is because everybody go straight to ChatGPT Plus.

The relationship between Microsoft and OpenAI is hilarious because Microsoft gave so much money to OpenAI, and OpenAI is the only one benefitting from this relationship. What's the point for Microsoft to "build" on top of GPT-4 while vanilla GPT-4 is actually better than what they offer?

Cmndr_Bytes

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Most people fail to mention the competition between ChatGPT and Bing AI itself. We have "Browse with Bing" capabilities on ChatGPT Plus, and believe me, it's actually better than using Bing AI itself. It's funny to see but vanilla GPT-4 on ChatGPT Plus has outperformed both Bing AI and Copilot Chat over and over again in my case. I don't mind paying $20/month as long as it works better for most cases.
You guys can keep making up excuses, but we all know the reason why Bing AI doesn't take off. The reason is because everybody go straight to ChatGPT Plus.

The relationship between Microsoft and OpenAI is hilarious because Microsoft gave so much money to OpenAI, and OpenAI is the only one benefitting from this relationship. What's the point for Microsoft to "build" on top of GPT-4 while vanilla GPT-4 is actually better than what they offer?
Off hand I would say me not having to pay $20. a month. :-D

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
It's time for a change. something needs to give.

Google, facebook and social media sites have already killed a lot of curated content creation in exchange for the opinion of the masses, thumbs up and likes.

There has to be a better way to organise content on the Internet which doesnt scatter quite so much information around.
The internet treats the world like its hundreds of billions of notice boards all over the planet - which you can magically find and read.

Social media consolidated those notice boards into a fewer number of shared boards - which hang off of a particular topic (Reddit), person (facebook/twitter), movie (imdb), product (amazon).

CoPilot is going to do the searching for you - but what I would like to see, is the AI being used to fact check, the AI to be constantly measuring the quality of content and comparing it.
I want the AI working out what is content created by experts.

What AI hopefully can do is separate opinion from facts. Although not if Elon Musk has anything to do with it.

Robin, while separating opinion from facts sounds like the ideal, smart, rational people frequently disagree. While there is one correct answer to the capital of Mongolia or the pass completion rate of Tom Brady over his career, there isn't one "right" answer for many subjects like economics, physics, medicine, or controversial subjects like climate change. I think the larger danger is implying that there is a correct answer to any of these, because that strips people of their skepticism and diminishes curiosity (we're less curious about subjects with definitive answers), which is what drives discovery and advancement.

I'm not sure that's Elon Musk's point, but I think it's at least part of it. There is great danger in just ascribing "expert" status to one or more sources. That's not to say someone teaching graduate economics out of MIT's Sloan School on the subject of inflation drivers isn't a more reliable source than some guy on Facebook, but "experts" are also frequently wrong, and that's OK -- science is built in the advances of the past, but it's never complete. Recall that at various points in time we "knew" ulcers were caused by stress (the scientist who originally proposed it was H. pylori was ridiculed), the shortest distance between two points in open space is a straight line (Einstein showed how gravity bends space), electrons were particles (quantum mechanics shows they're also waves), the arable land on the Earth could never generate enough food to support a billion people on the Earth (advances in farming techniques and technology blew past this), etc.?

Skepticism and curiosity are more important than the "answer." They drive advancement. Suggesting a single answer is correct fosters mob mentality, which is terrible.

I would prefer, and this would be a HUGE benefit of AI over traditional search (and Bing's AI chat does do this to some extent) would be to present the various theories and perhaps give some weighting to some over others in terms of how widely held they are (e.g., the majority of physicists believe that dark energy and its antigravity effects form at a constant rate as result of the universe expanding, but many believe that this rate has changed and will continue to change over billions of years).

That way, we get the benefit of what the AI search does FAR BETTER than traditional search: gathering data from multiple sources and combining it into a single answer. Traditional search only shows individual points of data, which is a fundamentally different way to learn about a subject.

Last edited:

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Do StatCounter's search engine rankings include mobile? If we look at use on PC's (or the subset of just Windows PC's), does the same decline in Bing hold true, or could this decrease reflect a greater use of searching on mobile?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deewinc