Did TikTok remove the dual screen support?

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't get TikTok to launch in dual screen mode anymore. Before, when you set it to auto-span and you launch it, the right side would be the video. The left side would be the browser to browse the person's collection of videos or to browse for other videos.

Nowadays, no matter what I do, TikTok will span the video across both screens. I don't like this way at all. It looks kind of cool at first but I much prefer the dual screen method. I know the dual screen was somewhat buggy but even then, it was super useful.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi dirtyvu,

It was big news when MS added dual screen support for TikTok back in 2020 and I haven't heard anything about the app no longer working correctly on the device. Hopefully it's just a quirk with the app and not a change the app developer thought would be a good idea. It ma not help, but if you haven't already, try uninstalling the app, restarting the device, and reinstalling (yeah - it's a basic suggestion, but sometimes works). I can't find any news or others talking about the issue, but hopefully another member who uses a Duo will chime in and help you test.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Same behavior. With the current iteration of TikTok, it treats both screens as a single big screen and you have to rotate the phone (otherwise the videos will be sideways).

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That’s really odd. I’d suggest jumping the r/SurfaceDuo sub-reddit on Reddit and ask if anyone else is experiencing the same issue since there are a lot of TikTok’ers on Reddit. If you get an answer, be sure to update your thread here too so others can learn :)

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
you're right. after checking that subreddit, there are multiple users noticing that the span feature is gone. sad to lose a great feature. too bad regular people didn't have a chance to see this feature because it was a really cool feature. These are the type of features that separate you from the crowd.

And shame on microsoft for not demonstrating it in any presentation. Showing off features that are unique to a platform is always a good thing. If you can't show the benefits of a platform to people outside of that system, they can't understand why they should try it. demonstrating Microsoft Office in ads works for a certain demographic but it doesn't move the regular people.

I felt using the term "productivity" as the main driving force of the platform would not resonate. To me, the Surface Duo 2 is all about convenience, not productivity. Sure, some of that convenience is increased productivity but convenience goes beyond productivity.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad you found your answer, but too bad it isn't better news. Is it an app developed by Microsoft, or is it developed by some other company? Whoever the developer is would be the one responsible for messing up the app and the one to give some feedback to and let them know you are unhappy (review the app).
Thanks for letting us know what you found!

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Glad you found your answer, but too bad it isn't better news. Is it an app developed by Microsoft, or is it developed by some other company? Whoever the developer is would be the one responsible for messing up the app and the one to give some feedback to and let them know you are unhappy (review the app).
Thanks for letting us know what you found!

GREAT NEWS!!! After getting the 12L update, I just checked how TikTok works in span mode and it works again!!!

I don't know if TikTok fixed it before or if it's related to the 12L update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap