Digital artists: This XP-Pen pen display has been a staple of my set-up, and it's a steal during Amazon Prime Day

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Cool find. I've been wavering back and forth with whether to buy a Surface Studio as all of my co-workers have. I do far more 3D modeling with only occasional digital concept design so the specs in the SS2 have given me pause.

A couple questions. The laminated vs unlaminated screen has me curious. We tried the Lenovo a940 in my last office and the parallax was significant to the point that none of us would use it if we could avoid it. How bad is the parallax on this screen possibly in comparison to that Lenovo a940?
Palm rejection was another issue of that a940. But this doesn't support touch? I use Leonardo as my only digital drawing software. Leonardo has great touch features. I wonder how easy it would be to use the scroll wheel to zoom. I work on large landscape designs that in some cases is many acres in a design. The pinch zoom is so easy and fast in Leonardo, but a wheel sounds cumbersome. Do you touch the pen then zoom will navigate to that part of the design?

Cole Martin

Writer
Apr 27, 2021
Visit site
Cool find. I've been wavering back and forth with whether to buy a Surface Studio as all of my co-workers have. I do far more 3D modeling with only occasional digital concept design so the specs in the SS2 have given me pause.

A couple questions. The laminated vs unlaminated screen has me curious. We tried the Lenovo a940 in my last office and the parallax was significant to the point that none of us would use it if we could avoid it. How bad is the parallax on this screen possibly in comparison to that Lenovo a940?
Palm rejection was another issue of that a940. But this doesn't support touch? I use Leonardo as my only digital drawing software. Leonardo has great touch features. I wonder how easy it would be to use the scroll wheel to zoom. I work on large landscape designs that in some cases is many acres in a design. The pinch zoom is so easy and fast in Leonardo, but a wheel sounds cumbersome. Do you touch the pen then zoom will navigate to that part of the design?
Hi! I'm sorry, I'm only just now seeing these questions. I use the scroll wheel on my XP-Pen for zoom all the time. To be honest, I'm not a fan of touch inputs on drawing displays in general and just find I'm happier using alternative inputs like keyboard commands or a TourBox controller. Typically, what I will do to zoom is use the stylus to move the bars on the right and bottom of the image to a generalized area as I'm rotating the wheel to zoom in to specific areas. I'm so used to it as part of my workflow that I don't even think about it. I wouldn't recommend putting the pen on the display while zooming with the wheel, as it will leave a mark, though.

As far as parallax, there is virtually none thanks to the laminated screen. Where you put your stylus is an accurate representation of where your cursor will be with laminated screens. I am not familiar with Lenovo's a940, but the advances in laminated screens to minimize parallax has been incredible in the last few years, even with budget devices from XP-Pen, Huion, Xencelabs, etc. You just don't have that bulky glass throwing off the perspective anymore.

I did do an older review of the XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro, and some images can give a better idea of the parallax question. https://www.windowscentral.com/xp-pen-artist-24-pro-review

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I'm sorry, I'm only just now seeing these questions. I use the scroll wheel on my XP-Pen for zoom all the time. To be honest, I'm not a fan of touch inputs on drawing displays in general and just find I'm happier using alternative inputs like keyboard commands or a TourBox controller. Typically, what I will do to zoom is use the stylus to move the bars on the right and bottom of the image to a generalized area as I'm rotating the wheel to zoom in to specific areas. I'm so used to it as part of my workflow that I don't even think about it. I wouldn't recommend putting the pen on the display while zooming with the wheel, as it will leave a mark, though.

As far as parallax, there is virtually none thanks to the laminated screen. Where you put your stylus is an accurate representation of where your cursor will be with laminated screens. I am not familiar with Lenovo's a940, but the advances in laminated screens to minimize parallax has been incredible in the last few years, even with budget devices from XP-Pen, Huion, Xencelabs, etc. You just don't have that bulky glass throwing off the perspective anymore.

I did do an older review of the XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro, and some images can give a better idea of the parallax question. https://www.windowscentral.com/xp-pen-artist-24-pro-review
Awesome! thank you. I'm curious about the zoom with a TourBox as the palm rejection on the a940 was terrible. On a Surface Studio, it was almost flawless. Being able to pinch and zoom, or even rotate the canvas in Leonardo was so quick and effortless I can't imagine doing it any other way. I tried to win an XP-Pen 24 on ebay a week or so ago. I should have been more aggressive as it sold for just $202. Maybe there will be some good black friday deals. Thank you for your responses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254