Discussion: Is the Surface Pro Core i7 faster than the iPad Pro A9X?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
surface-pro-3.jpg

When Microsoft revealed the Surface Pro, they made some bold claims about its speed vs. Apple's own top-end iPad Pro.
Claiming a speed increase of 1.7x over the iPad Pro, many have been wondering how exactly Microsoft arrived at that conclusion, considering the Surface Pro's internals and software are so wildly different from that of the iPad Pro.
The Surface Pro sports fanless Intel Core i5 configurations and a beastly Core i7 configuration, complete with Intel Iris Pro graphics. The iPad's custom A9X chips grant Apple's tablet great speed and decent battery life, but ultimately, they are designed for mobile use.

In a discussion on the Windows Central forum, our users have been debating the intricacies behind Surface architect Panos Panay's 1.7x power boost claim.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Machine Overlord

May 31, 2017
Visit site
It's really a nonsensical comparison. The only reason Panos mentioned it at the announcement is, paraphrasing, "Since people always compare the iPad Pro to the Surface Pro..." That said, how do you measure faster? The same problem exists with comparing the Surface Pro to say the Surface Pro 3, where Panos said the new device is 2.5x "faster". Faster how?

Folks are saying the Surface Pro should be much faster than the iPad Pro given that it is running an i7 laptop chip versus a tablet chip. Well, Surface Pro is running a full operating system whereas the iPad Pro is not. The Surface Pro has more "weight" to carry to satisfy the needs of a much more diverse population of users. So it needs more power to run. Etc.

Again, I think it's a nonsensical comparison and he should have known he was going to open himself up to ridicule.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)