Does May 2019 Update Require UEFI?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have an older computer that doesn't have UEFI (Intel X58 chipset).
I've installed Windows 7 and Windows 10 on it, from a thumb drive.
I got a new hard drive and went to install the May 2019 update and it refuses to boot from the thumb drive.

I used Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and Rufus (MBR).
Neither of them are booting.
I tried putting Windows 7 on a thumb drive, using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and it worked.
I tried putting Windows 10 on that same thumb drive, using the same Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, and it doesn't boot.
I downloaded the x32/x64 combo ISO using Media Creation Tool.

Can you guys shed some light?
Thanks...
JJ

dimitriovitch

May 31, 2019
Visit site
did you take a look at bios " legacy boot " option to activate ?
when I bought my first laptop it was an uefi and when I re installed another os (seven) I was told to activate legacy boot in bios ( or something with legacy boot options).

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
did you take a look at bios " legacy boot " option to activate ?
when I bought my first laptop it was an uefi and when I re installed another os (seven) I was told to activate legacy boot in bios ( or something with legacy boot options).

This motherboard doesn't have uefi.
It's bios only.
But, I did realize the problem.
For some reason, it views thumb drives as hard drives instead of removable devices.
As soon as I made that change, it booted right up.
Now, I still don't know why the Windows 7 thumb drive booted and the Windows 10 one didn't.
JJ

erpster79

Jun 8, 2019
Visit site
I have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3-R2 motherboard which uses DualBIOS (non-UEFI) chips and I can boot from the Win10 v1903 USB drive without problems.

maybe use a different brand USB thumb drive like Sandisk as some brands work better than others

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss