Does surface laptop focused for student or creator?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
A bit of both, well at least in my eyes it can be used for both.

I wanted to get a Surface Laptop to help with photo editing or maybe some 3D modeling on the go. To do this, I would need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro of course, since everything some of the applications I need are outside of the store.

College students would probably keep the Windows 10 S since it's said to have outstanding battery life (running less services) and it's suppose to run a lot better than the Pro version.

Last edited:

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I think we can gather from Microsoft's recent focus on "creators" with the recent Creators Update and the upcoming Fall Creators Update that as a company their vision is that everyone is a creator. So I would argue that the answer to your question is both, because Microsoft doesn't necessarily make a distinction between the two. Now for marketing purposes, the Surface Laptop and Windows 10 S are clearly aimed at students. Even as I say that, however, it comes with the caveat that this is their target market due to the Surface Laptop being the flagship device for Windows 10 S which is solidly aimed at the education sector. What Microsoft is probably hoping for is for more developers to convert their Win32 apps to UWP over time, thus delivering increased value to Windows 10 S and by extension the Surface Laptop (and every Windows device really). What I mean to say is that the Surface Laptop is functional, well-designed and suitably powerful right now and will continue to deliver more value to customers over time as developer support improves the Windows Store for everyone. Does that make sense?

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Surely there will be more developers making apps for UWP and hopefully maybe even Adobe could enter with Lightroom? It would be great for students as a lot of them are trying to do something with photography at some point.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
A bit of both, well at least in my eyes it can be used for both.

I wanted to get a Surface Laptop to help with photo editing or maybe some 3D modeling on the go. To do this, I would need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro of course, since everything some of the applications I need are outside of the store.

College students would probably keep the Windows 10 S since it's said to have outstanding battery life (running less services) and it's suppose to run a lot better than the Pro version.

I am not entirely sure how well would it handle 3D modelling since it has no dGPU, but I'd be really interested to see how well would it perform.

The device that was 100% made for creators is Surface Studio, Surface Laptop is according to MS more focused on students and according to latest Windows Central articles for "wider population" because MS wants to get rid of the old Win32 apps in the first place. I think that specs-wise Surface Laptop is more of a device for students as it doesn't offer a dGPU on which many creators depend. Of course not all creators require dGPU, so it really does matter what specifically do you want to do with it.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I am not entirely sure how well would it handle 3D modelling since it has no dGPU, but I'd be really interested to see how well would it perform.

The device that was 100% made for creators is Surface Studio, Surface Laptop is according to MS more focused on students and according to latest Windows Central articles for "wider population" because MS wants to get rid of the old Win32 apps in the first place. I think that specs-wise Surface Laptop is more of a device for students as it doesn't offer a dGPU on which many creators depend. Of course not all creators require dGPU, so it really does matter what specifically do you want to do with it.

@kaktus
Yeah, you're right, that's was I was just thinking. I must've had the Surface Laptop and a Surface Book or Surface Studio in a mix up, my mistake. :p

I'm not too sure how well the Surface Laptop will handle lite 3D modeling, but it should be somewhat decent. Shouldn't it?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
@kaktus
Yeah, you're right, that's was I was just thinking. I must've had the Surface Laptop and a Surface Book or Surface Studio in a mix up, my mistake. :p

I'm not too sure how well the Surface Laptop will handle lite 3D modeling, but it should be somewhat decent. Shouldn't it?

Well I think it should perform about the same as Surface Pro 4 and from what I've heard fans can kick in and it can be laggy, but I can't say anything more as I didn't use it, just assuming that some complex models wouldn't really work well on hardware like that.