Dropped L1020 - blessing in disguise? Compass calibration issue disappeared!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have never dropped my L1020 in the ten months of owning it, and there's not even a single scratch on it's screen. But that ended a few nights ago when my L1020 fell from my sister's bed (okay, so I didn't really drop it). Frantic as I was, I went on to test as much of the components as I could: camera (of course!), xenon flash, compass, gyro, accelerometer, bluetooth... and after over an hour of testing and re-testing (and of feeling very bitter), I was half-convinced that the phone was not damaged by the fall - at least it seemed that everything was running as they usually did.

However, the next day, I noticed that the compass was no longer prompting me for calibration (note that several users, including myself, have reported being repeatedly prompted to calibrate the compass almost each time it was launched). The readings are now even more accurate - the slight offset was gone! The only moment it asked me to calibrate the compass again was when I was near a strong magnetic field near a medical facility.

Additionally, even the accelerometer and gyroscope (harder to test) readings were more accurate.

Well, it wasn't really a BAD fall. The phone was placed screen down on the bed before it traveled 18 inches vertically downward through the air from the edge of the bed (I snagged the power cable) to the wooden floor hitting with the bottom part first, where at the moment of impact the phone was at around a 70-degree angle to the floor. The rest of the phone followed while the bottom part started to bounce off the floor, and upon impact the rest of the phone bounced off the floor in a similar manner. The bounce was severely damped such that not more than two bounces were observed. The entire event lasted less than a second.

Now I'm not suggesting that dropping the L1020 at that exact manner would resolve the compass calibration issue, but am I right in thinking that the fluxgate sensor for the magnetometer (as well as the gyroscope and accelerometer) may have just needed a slight physical shock in order to loosen some components and thus increase the accuracy of their readings? or was I just extremely lucky?

P.S.
The drop did not resolve the "Loading" and "Resuming" "issue".

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Really amazing what a little smack can do.

On the other hand I am not sure what you said to your sister when she dropped your phone but my best guess is not "thanks". ;-)

Anyhow thanks for sharing.

Ps I would not recommend to ask your sister to drop it again to resolve the loading and resuming issue

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Really amazing what a little smack can do.

On the other hand I am not sure what you said to your sister when she dropped your phone but my best guess is not "thanks". ;-)

Anyhow thanks for sharing.

Ps I would not recommend to ask your sister to drop it again to resolve the loading and resuming issue

My sister's innocent; my foot snagged the power cable of my phone, unplugging the cable from the phone and causing the drop. But her reaction was classic: "Well, there's a first for everything.":eck:

Yeah, I'd rather wait for Windows 10!:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs