Extended Battery Replacement? OEM, AceSoft, or ReelWonder?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Looking to maybe get a new battery for my 950... Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, with the 3rd party extended batteries (3,400 mAh) like the AceSoft or ReelWonder batteries? Or should I stick with an OEM battery replacement (3,000 mAh)?

some of the options are:

Microsoft: BVT5E BV-T5E 3.85v 3000mAh

AceSoft: 3.85V; Capacity: 3400mAh
ReelWonder: 3.85V; Capacity: 3400mAh

Both extended batteries claim you don't need a special back case as they are the same overall dimensions as the OEM, so the extended battery life would be nice. Just don't want a Samsung grade bomb in my pocket.

Any experiences or thoughts would be help!

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Yup,I got the acesoft and I'm beyond pleased,it's a bad dude,the best battery going,you better get it,and it fits like it was made for it,which it is actually,you'll like it

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Don't bother, because it can say whatever it wants :)

First, simple physics, the size needed for 4770mAh would not fit into the space of a 3000mAh battery!
Second, if it REALLY is 4770mAh, why is it declared and sold as a 3400mAh? Has someone in that company lost his mind?

The only thing that is relevant, is measuring the capacity, and people who did that report that this battery does not have the declared capacity of 3400mAh

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Ok,it really doesn't matter to me about all that,all that's important is that it works and works well,I'm not a tech person who can tell who the history of how something works or made,all I know is it works and what it says right on the battery,other than that I'm not concerned,have a great day

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I wound up going with a stock OEM MS replacement battery... Some of the reviews scared me away from the AceSoft variant.

The only reason I didn't go with the Mugen is the added size and loss of qi & NFC.

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I first ordered a OEM but wouldn't you know it,when I got it it was a dud,but the vendor gave me a full refund and I tried the acesoft,that was Jan or Dec,couldn't be more pleased

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've got an odd issue with my new battery (or maybe a software issue) as well....

I let it charge overnight and all seemed OK. This morning, it seemed to be draining a little quicker than it should. So when it was down around 48%, I charged it back to 100% and did a soft reset. When it came back up, it showed the battery at 80%. So I got it back up to 100% and did another soft reset. It was at 81% when it came up. This time it went up to 100% a lot faster. Did another reset and its at 82% this time.

Could this be some sort of calibration issue?

Should I keep getting it back to 100% and resetting it until it hits 100% on the reboot?

Should I just leave it charging even at 100%? (but I assume if the hardware/software thinks it's at 100% it won't continue to charge)

Or is there probably an issue with the battery and it should be returned?

One thing I can say, it doesn't seem to be getting as hot as it did with the older battery.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what to think.no matter what I tried, "charging" to 100% and doing a reset dropped it from 100% down to 80% - 82% immediately...

So I decided to let it run till it shuts off on it's own. Used it for twitter, FB, and texting. When I got home, it was down to around 48%. So I fired up the Movies & TV app and started watching Rogue One (~2:13)... when it ended the phone was showing a charge in the low teens. So I started another movie. Currently it's 20 minutes in and the battery is at 8%...

Not sure if that's good or not. is around 38% battery over the course of streaming movies over Wi-Fi for around 2.5 hours good battery performance? Or does MS' Movie streaming service just not suck a lot of juice? It hasn't gotten hot during this process.

I know it's generally not a good idea to drain a battery to 0%, but I figure the phone will automatically shut down before it gets too low and I've got nothing to loose at this point.... It either helps calibrate the battery (going from almost empty to 100%) or the battery is probably bad and needs to be returned.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
It is always advisable, when you change the battery, to first charge it to 100% and then let it drain until phone shuts down. Then recharge it again to 100% without interruption. Then drain it to 10% and recharge to full. Don't let it drain again until phone shuts down if not necessary.

A new battery needs at least 3 time to be drained to about 10% and then recharge it to 100% for inside chemistry to work to it's full potential.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Here is a screenshot. I installed this battery monitor app after it dropped 20% and let it drain, recharge, did a reset with another 20% drop... will give it a couple of more full drain/charge cycles

battery.jpg

RJPeters

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I just got a new battery (3000mAh) and ut doesnt seem to be doing any better drainage wise than my old one. I'm really hoping that doing a couple of drains then charger to 100% will help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss