File protection via cloud app, from ransomeware attack

Fulani Filot

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello, in the past, my office PC has advised me to protect my files from ransomeware attack, by using Dropbox (and I guess, any of its rivals like Microsoft OneDrive and/or Google Drive) and managing my files from within such.

My first question is, "how are files in the folder of installed cloud apps like G-Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox protected from ransomeware attacks while files in system folders like Documents, Downloads, Desktop are exposed to ransomeware attacks?"

I ask because, the GUI of cloud app folders look just like the GUI of system (or non-cloud app) folders, and it seems to me that the cloud app folders are resident copies on the system showing me what's backed-up in the cloud.

Q> If a ransomeware attack were to hit the PC, wouldn't the files in the cloud app folder be compromised and lead to syncing with the cloud-based copies of those files so that they also become compromised?

Q> Is it that the cloud app is designed so that even though I can access my backed-up-online files in real-time (with an internet connection of course) on the PC, they are still protected from an ongoing attack that is ravaging the other files outside the cloud app folder at the time?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how these cloud apps work within the PC's OS such that the claim by the OS/OEM combo stands that "protect your files from ransomeware attack by using Dropbox" (or any of its rivals). For many years, I have been using Dropbox, G-Drive and OneDrive, mainly for the sake of having my files backed-up, convenient access from any device, any where, any time. That this service has helped me is a gross understatement.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello, in the past, my office PC has advised me to protect my files from ransomeware attack, by using Dropbox (and I guess, any of its rivals like Microsoft OneDrive and/or Google Drive) and managing my files from within such.

My first question is, "how are files in the folder of installed cloud apps like G-Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox protected from ransomeware attacks while files in system folders like Documents, Downloads, Desktop are exposed to ransomeware attacks?"

I ask because, the GUI of cloud app folders look just like the GUI of system (or non-cloud app) folders, and it seems to me that the cloud app folders are resident copies on the system showing me what's backed-up in the cloud.

Q> If a ransomeware attack were to hit the PC, wouldn't the files in the cloud app folder be compromised and lead to syncing with the cloud-based copies of those files so that they also become compromised?

Q> Is it that the cloud app is designed so that even though I can access my backed-up-online files in real-time (with an internet connection of course) on the PC, they are still protected from an ongoing attack that is ravaging the other files outside the cloud app folder at the time?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how these cloud apps work within the PC's OS such that the claim by the OS/OEM combo stands that "protect your files from ransomeware attack by using Dropbox" (or any of its rivals). For many years, I have been using Dropbox, G-Drive and OneDrive, mainly for the sake of having my files backed-up, convenient access from any device, any where, any time. That this service has helped me is a gross understatement.

'Being protected from a ransomware attack' is usually based on the sole fact that your data is in the cloud, and thus safer, and the cloud storage provider most likely has sophisticated anti-malware controls in place to prevent from such attacks. Depending on the ransomware attack, your cloud files that are stored locally may likely be affected.

See if this helps explain it better:

https://www.hubstor.net/blog/ransomware-infect-cloud-storage/

Fulani Filot

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I just figured that out and promptly disabled the auto-sync. I'm also considering disconnecting the cloud services to my PC's local storage. From now on, I manually back my files up to the cloud (via web browser) as long as the PC hasn't been compromised.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss