Finally found the perfect W10M start screen setting

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
The problem with the start screen of W10M is it gets very busy. While it is possible to put blank spaces horizontally, it's not possible to do so vertically. I was expecting Microsoft to allow grouping and naming of tiles as in W10 for desktop but it never came out.

So I used this trick. I made sure to only pin those apps that display some meaningful information. That's what Start screen is for. Start screen is not a place to pin frequently used apps. It's way more easier to navigate to other apps from the "All App" section.

You may use W10M launchers on Android devices but nothing beats using it on original device. So do not switch to Android if you love simplicity. You can politely say NO to anyone who asks you to do so!

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Start screen is not a place to pin frequently used apps. It's way more easier to navigate to other apps from the "All App" section.

In what way is it "way easier" to navigate to an app in the "All apps" section (on a different screen) than merely clicking an app icon pinned to Start?

I get that you prefer to only have tiles with useful information on your Start screen (and that's a perfectly fine philosophy), but I don't think you can argue that it's easier to swipe to a second screen, scroll to an app and click it than it is to click it directly from Start.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
In what way is it "way easier" to navigate to an app in the "All apps" section (on a different screen) than merely clicking an app icon pinned to Start?

I get that you prefer to only have tiles with useful information on your Start screen (and that's a perfectly fine philosophy), but I don't think you can argue that it's easier to swipe to a second screen, scroll to an app and click it than it is to click it directly from Start.

Actually, there is an option to display frequently used apps in "All App" section on computers. We needed that feature on W10M too.

Still, it's easier to navigate to an app through "All App". Just click on the letter and you are there. It's better than searching among a sea of tiles on start screen

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Actually, there is an option to display frequently used apps in "All App" section on computers. We needed that feature on W10M too.

Still, it's easier to navigate to an app through "All App". Just click on the letter and you are there. It's better than searching among a sea of tiles on start screen

I'll also disagree... To me it makes perfectly more sense to have those frequently used apps pinned to the start screen. So what you find personally useful or easier won't necessarily be to everyone's taste.

As you can see from my start screen it's not even one full swipe up and we have access to all our frequently used apps, and the tiles are unique enough that identifying the one(s) were after is a breeze. With your method one has to "swipe left/tap on a letter/select a letter/tap on an app to select it". Don't get how this is quicker.

950_02092018(1).jpg

950_02092018(2).jpg

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Also, if the app is able to display notifications, you can see if there is any activity from the Start Screen...and therefore there may not be a need to open it in the first place - even quicker :O

That said...I like what you did with your Start Screen @Free-Spirit :winktongue:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There is an entire thread about start screen designs and layouts.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/340515-82.htm#post3723174
@Free-Spirit not bad at all, liking the minimalism.

You can use something like Skinery themes (if it's still in the store) or start perfect to add more functionality and/or customisability.

The problem with the start screen of W10M is it gets very busy. While it is possible to put blank spaces horizontally, it's not possible to do so vertically. I was expecting Microsoft to allow grouping and naming of tiles as in W10 for desktop but it never came out.

I disagree, it doesn't get "busy" the o/s doesn't make the user pin all the apps on the screen it's upto the user how they structure it. If the o/s did pin apps automatically on the start screen on install, then you would have point :winktongue:.

In terms of vertical placement, early Wm10 builds had vertical tiles but they were removed.

You can create groups to a certain extent (tile folders) just drag and drop a tile on to each other that you can inside the folder. Use something like Group tiles to create sections.

So I used this trick. I made sure to only pin those apps that display some meaningful information. That's what Start screen is for. Start screen is not a place to pin frequently used apps. It's way more easier to navigate to other apps from the "All App" section.

Again I disagree, that is how you prefer to use your phone and others will use it differently which is the beauty of live tiles, everyone can set the start how the prefer it.

Imposing a design bias on others is the most flawed principle of design which is why Windows 8 was an utter misery to use at launch. I would suggest, not embarking on that pathway lol :winktongue::winktongue:.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Im more into pining my contacts on my start screen.
It's not about which apps I use or don't use.
I just like to see faces of family, friend when I look at the phone...

... !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs