[FIX] SP3 Windows 10 Version 1607 Auto-Rotation Not Working!

meanhacker

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
[FIX] Surface Pro 3 Auto-Rotation Not Working!

After the famous anniversary update for surface pro 3 that updated it to version 1607, I have been a little skeptical on the promised bug fixes. Nonetheless, I proceeded to use the device with optimism. I use my surface for sheet music or chords on a music stand when I play piano and noticed that the screen stopped auto-rotating when I would place it into portrait mode. I have tried almost everything: removing the keyboard cover, going into device manager and removing devices under "Sensors" (the category wasn't even there after I removed some Visual Studio sensors device), installing Surface Pro 3 windows 10 drivers and firmware, running windows update, registry edits, power + volume up key combo, running the windows sensor diagnostic fix tool, and running apps from the windows store to show sensor data (they said that they couldn't find any sensors). I already backed up the files that I needed and was going to reinstall windows on the device, but the last thought gave me a hint to look deeper into device manager. I remembered someone talking about I2C device for other tablets and reinstalling drivers for that.

TLDR: I tried everything, discovered a solution.

1. Go to Device Manager (Windows logo key + X then hit M)
2. Go to Human Interface Devices
3. Go near the bottom of the list and find I2C HID Device (there should be two of them)
4. Uninstall both of them
5. Hit the Scan for hardware changes and let windows install drivers again. Hopefully this worked for you and the device will now auto-rotate

Feel free to discuss if you have the same issue or if you found any solutions of your own.

Last edited:

pejhod

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I have a HP Spectre x2 12" Detachable Tablet, I also lost auto-rotate with 1607. Thank you for your post! Though this HP doesn't use the same I2C integrated sensor, after uninstalling (but keeping the driver) of every single sensor in that sub-category of Device Manager and rebooting after, I got back my rotation lock Action Center switch and my Spectre auto-rotates again!!!

I'm sure it was only one of the device entrees in the HID category, but there were roughly 35 of them.

pat_the_cat

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Turned my Surface Pro 3 on this afternoon to do some surfing and had the rotation issue. Out of the blue. Up to this point my Surface has been flawless. I use it daily in my position as a Production Manager for a fabrication shop and home for everything else. Glad to see someone else had this issue and the fix was pretty easy. Hopefully this problem doesn't come back around. Thanks for the fix!

Derek Jr

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Amazing! My Surface Pro 3 tablet also lost the auto rotate -FROM THE 12 NOVEMBER 2019 UPDATE AND THE ABOVE FIX FROM THREE YEARS AGO WORKED!

Different issue/same update: on my Dell 2720 All In One, the start button and settings button now don't work except using multiple clicks or right click to get to settings. I'll check here first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention