From iPhone to Lumia 950: One man's quest for something new (review)

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I might have to disagree with this, at least from a generalized standpoint. In theory, I agree with you... but in practical application my 76 yr old Mother who is a complete computer dunce was able to pick up my L950 and txt message herself some picture attachments immediately, with only minimal coaching from me. It blew me away. She has an iPhone, and she barely knows how to do anything with it. I can't even get her to learn how to click and drag an object on her iMac, or drag a box to multi-select things. She just does not get it.

Even she remarked how easy it was to use. Not only is she a noob, but she's an electronic dunce, so I am doubly impressed with Windows ease of use.
I didn't take w10m into consideration.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
wut, I never knew how this FEATURE exists until now! And I have used Windows Phone since Lumia800 Haha :D
Was this present on 8.1? Or just added in Win10? I thought I could only drag the cursor when it's below my fingers, touching the little circle at the buttom.

There's also the little nubbin on the keyboard that you can use to drag a cursor around the screen.

plandyman

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
LOVE my 950! And I was an iNerd for 5 years! (review)

This is a follow up post to my initial review when I first got my Lumia 950. I was getting sick of the iPhone after 5 years of use and started following Windows after seeing a friend with it many years ago and liking it. I have never been impressed by Android so it was really the only attractive alternative. So I followed the Lumia development and WP10 patiently. Ended up purchasing a 950 from ATT on day one - which meant I even switched carriers to do so.

I was excited when I got the phone but after a week I can say I love it TEN TIMES MORE! I really do not understand all the hate WP gets, and the complaints about the OS and so-called "cheap" feeling. There are so many options for customization and the OS is so smooth and good looking.

Design/Hardware:
I think the phone feels great, and solid. Way more so than any Galaxy phone. What are people looking for exactly when they say it's not premium enough? Metal materials? Curved glass? I guess I don't mind not having those things. The buttons don't feel cheap but could be a little better. The screen and back plate are sweet and I like how it can be changed out. The Mozo cases look good. The simple look of the phone is nice.

The camera is pretty good. The amount of picture options (ISO, etc) are easy to use and the pics are pretty good so far, even in low light. My one gripe with the hardware is the speaker. It is very weak and sounds flat at times. Even my custom ringtone seems to lack punch. Normal chimes and basic sounds are ok though.

OS/Apps:
The WP10 OS is amazing. I love the live tiles and the totally customizable home/lock/glance screens. Plus the fact that you can control each app and countless settings is great. I have also found all the apps I regularly use or a suitable alternative, with the exception of SnapChat and Chase Bank. But I used the pin feature to save Chase via Edge. I can live without SnapChat. It's tough, but I can do it. Hello is working amazingly, even in dimmer light. It works about 80% of the time but I expect it to get better.

I have also had barely any of the freezing, rebooting, etc issues that other people are complaining about. I've had an app freeze here and there but closing it out and reopening usually does the trick. Messaging has crashed my phone twice, but it's not bothersome... yet. I have high hopes for continuing updates and fixes to resolve most of these issues.

Other:
Cortana is better than Siri so far. Better voice recognition and able to do more. Battery life is pretty good too. I use my phone moderately all day and I am currently sitting at 51%. On heavy use days I usually head to bed around 30%. That's acceptable.

Overall Im in love with this new phone. I couldn't find a USB C cable or car charger at BestBuy but Amazon does the trick.

I will try to show people the wonders of Windows phone going forward. I'm more tech inclined, but I think even N00bs can use this phone, but I will say iPhone is better for idiots. It's simplicity is their advantage. I can honestly say Idk why WP gets a bad rap, aside from people needing their apps.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Plandyman, if you come from a previous WP, like a 1520, you'd understand why many of us consider the 950 & 950xl "cheap feeling". If not, you just wouldn't understand.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise