Going to develop app for my final essay in college, need help and ideas for the app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juzz Tianz

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I'm in my 8[SUP]th[/SUP] semester in college now, and it's time for me to start my own essay. I don't know what it called in English (from Google Translate, 'skripsi' means essay, but I think it's nearly more like thesis).

So, here it comes. I have been a big fan of Nokia since high school, and proudly having a Lumia 620 right now. Really an amazing phone, with simple yet intuitive OS. I just used it for less than a month now, but I definitely falling in love with it. Everyone in the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] semester in my college should build an app, up to the student what they want to build. Some of my friends build a encryption app, or some other 'mainstream' things, like Information System for cashier or something like that. I want to be more different than anyone, so my newly Lumia 620 popped me with an idea: Why don't you just build an app for your WP8?

Fortunately, WP8 in my country, Indonesia, is considered as a new, fresh mobile OS. Here, people still prefer Androids and Blackberries. Believe or not, in my college, I can see that only me using WP8, and it can be an advantage after all. I can make an essay that no one will ever copycat from me.

I made some research on the web about developing WP8 app, and I just realized that I have all things ready on my side: a Windows 8 Pro-running computer, Visual Studio Express 2012 with Windows Phone SDK 8.0 installed inside, a Lumia 620, and even a DreamSpark account (just being verified after I struggle to manually enroll myself to DreamSpark) to unlock my phone so I can test the app directly to my Lumia. But the last thing is: the lack of experience and ideas. I knew VB.NET, but never learned anything about C#, so I chose to use VB.NET to develop the WP8 app, but then there is still things I'm not used to, like developing the interface, and how actually developing the apps.

My ideas about my app: (number 1 is the most priority one, and so on)
1. A security app for WP, which can capture faces and locating the phone when someone input wrong passwords, and send an email contained with the pic and location to the owner's email. (the one similar in Android)
Problem is: Can I know the status of the lockscreen, like a feedback from the system about how many times already the user input wrong passwords, so I can trigger the front camera and GPS to send email? And can I develop an app to run background automatically when the phone booted?
2. A student-specified app. This app will provide an alarm, a page where students can make notes when studying at class, reminder or to-do-list, and a feature where the student can send notes via bluetooth or nfc.
Problem is: There is an app call 627.am and has a lot more features (except sharing notes), plus weather information inside the app. But, I think maybe I still can develop this one too even there's app similar with my idea in the store.
3. Library app, with QR-code support. So books will have their own QR Code, and students can borrow books by only scan the QR Code.
Problem is: Can anyone please provide any documentation or learning-resources for programming QR Code to an app?

My post seems a little bit too long and messy, but I really hope you guys can share ideas for my app. Not too complex, just simple ideas, since I'm still new to WP app development, and just need it for my essay. I have to submit 3 essay title (actually there are 3 titles already above), but still, I'm scared that I can't complete my app.

Thank you in advance, and sorry for a long first post. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That really sounds like an excellent plan for your essay. :smile:

I am moving your thread to the Developers forum, since it is more likely that people who have already developed apps would see it there and be able to help you.

Juzz Tianz

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
That really sounds like an excellent plan for your essay. :smile:

I am moving your thread to the Developers forum, since it is more likely that people who have already developed apps would see it there and be able to help you.
wow, I forgot that wpcentral has developer forum, thanks a lot! :cool:

Juzz Tianz

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
HI!

You will probably not be able to do the number 1 but 2 I think is a great idea!
Thanks for your reply, DBDev
Yeah, it seems like there's no opt to bypass the security, or to get any code from the OS if someone tries to input incorrect passwords in several times. And again, is there any way to make an app to run automatically with the OS after boot up?

I think there's a few developers around this forum, huh? but by the way, thanks for any replies here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124