Google is making Android TV'S . Why dont MS make Windows 10 TV ?

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
This is a very good question. And the answer is simply that Microsoft (ie. Satya) is lacking in vision. At least Windows embedded should have been pushed out aggressively for TVs, car systems, in-flight entertainment systems, mall kiosks, etc. to get consumers accustomed to the Microsoft way of doing things (GUI etc.).

But now there is android everywhere, and that is fast becoming familiar for so many people that they will shy away from "strange" other systems.

Microsoft is lacking vision. It's as simple as that. Just ride the organic cloud growth until it becomes a low margin commodity and then what...

FAVIOLOSKY

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
They already have store apps for Plex, Netflix, Hulu, They could pair with a TV manufacturer to create the smart aspect of it and seek developers to work on the other ones. They could try to do a streaming box to begin with.

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Just because another company is doing it doesn't mean Microsoft should, there is really no benefit here, and I don't think very many people would buy it. If you want a Windows tv, pick up an atom powered compute stick and plug it into the hdmi port on your tv, or get an xbox, or a low end laptop or desktop. There seems to be no need to build it into a tv.

Mister Wolf

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
1) They won't market it properly.
2) They will only release in the US, where it can only be purchased from their own stores.
3) App support is wack. They may try and partner up, but the partners will pull out in a few months as the product won't sell (refer to point 1 & 2). Microsoft will then pull the plug. Then people will be making threads about what could've been.

ZhanToO

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I definitely feel like MS should make a TV os - perhaps windows 10 S - without a desktop.
I actually feel they should have done this a while ago. They could have leveraged some of that userbase to benefit their tablets, and the Xbox, as they have some overlapping preferences.

I also think they should soon be able to make a box of the size of apple tv, containing a full xbox One. Sinze the X is smaller than the S. That would be neat.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Google is making Android TV'S . Why dont MS make Windows 10 TV ?

I thought this was a great idea when the Xbox One was first announced and they were talking about all this great TV integration. Since then it has moved farther and farther away from focusing on TV. So they would either need to reverse that (not likely) or develop a new version of Windows (more likely, but still less than 50/50 imo).

Just put their Film & TV app on other platforms and integrate it with UltraViolet/Movies Anywhere. They're not going to make a dent on TVs at this point, but they can at least get their content out there so people can buy at their computer and then watch through a Roku or Chromecast or Fire TV, etc.

ssterb1

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
They could release a low powered, disc-less box or HDMI stick with the xbox one version of Windows 10 on it and call it something like "Xbox Stream". Pair it with a remote that has a microphone, and you've got a direct roku, fire tv and Apple tv competitor.

Drewidian

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
When Microsoft annouced that they were going to have the HDMI input, a guide, and could control your cable box with the original XBox One, I was thinking... They are going to partner with Cable companies around the world and get this system into every living room they can. It made so much sense. Have a DVR that can play games, connect with streaming services, and purchase media from the store. Add in the additional benefit that you can play music and movies on a Windows Computer or Phone and it was a winner. Obviously they could come up with some kind of revenue sharing with the cable companies and make it a true livingroom solution that allowed you to access all of your services, purchased media, and gaming from a single console. If Microsoft had pursued this, they could have owned a huge market especially if the Xbox One could replace the LR DVR. They could even have made it an extender for services like Fios, Comcast, or Uverse where any media recorded could be accessed on an extender mini XBox that could do everything but gaming. To me, that was the future vision and MS blew that opportunity.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't need a Windows 10 TV, but I would like them to develop an app for cord cutters like PlayStation Vue. I am currently using Vue through Apple TV, but if Microsoft made an app for Xbox I would switch to that as long as it was also available on Android/iOS/AppleTV.

robinVerdegaal

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
YES

I have one, and it's perfect! Especially after I bought a 25$ airmouse with minikeyboard on the back as a 'remote control' my silent mini-PC completely replaced every other TV input I had. Metro UI is perfect, and there are just so many apps to spend an evening with.

My cable company has a perfect TV app, much better and faster then its stupid slow box, also much better than any stupid slow 'smart' TV app. We have HBO, Netflix, a number of rent-a-movie apps and of course websites! So many websites are perfectly suitable for a TV use case. Check the weather and traffic in the morning, etc. etc.

In weekends I have the F1 standings app on the TV and the Cable app with the live race stream on the beamer. There are a lot of other motorsport streams available online, and the same probably goes for a number of other sports, I wouldn't know ;)

Watching Twitch streams on TV also works surprisingly well. Gaming is something I was suprised to see perfectly possible with Steam streaming from my game PC in the other room. Threw in a couple of Xbox controllers and a receiver and I did not even need an XBox anymore.

Seriously, so many apps, so many usecases

I seriously wonder why Microsoft did not see the potential for this utterly AppleTV-crushing opportunity. It's just so versatile and so pointerfriendly. Get one yourself NOW!

Last edited:

Monte Constable1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Seems people forget hardware is a thing. MS don't actually have a lightweight TV friendly OS that runs on ARM yet. To make inroads into this market they need to compete with the Fire and Roku sticks of the world. Xbox one S is already close or the same as Apple TV in price. I would think they could sell this device as Xbox lite a.k.a. media with light gaming, but they need ARM chips to hit that pricepoint

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb