Hard to replace that camera.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I decided to have a look for options for when I need to replace my lumia 950. I got it for about 300 refurbished a few years back because I'm not a big spender generally.

Looking for comparable camera's using GSM arenas photo compare tool? I found one in the midrange that has about the same low level of noise and colour accuracy (nokia is a bit over saturated/white but the level of noise is quite low). I looked at a lot.

I've got so into photography since having this device, and it's kind of hard to replace without spending a fair bit of money.

Makes me realize what a thing of value I've been using. Beyond the live tiles, and the low clutter app system. Be sad to see it go. Hopefully getting back to using BB hub, and more internal storage will be a compensation.

Still, really, dat camera. Ahead of it's time.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Huawei Mate 20 Pro is a good bet as well

Both of those are premium (or ish). Considerably more expensive than I personally spend on phones anyway.

The pocophone f1 has a comparable camera, using that camera comparison tool on gsm arena, and it's 296 USD (uses the same sensor as the pixel 3, and you can use the ported camera app from the pixel with it's much touted HDR+ and nightmode - note to mods, ports of that app are perfectly legal and kosher according to the original devs).

It does have MIUI (which many don't like), but you can root the phone and change it. That's about what I spent on my 950, so it's probably what I'll get. Still it was damned hard to find anything that wasn't, as you suggested, more in the premium range (or at minimum, high upper midrange), that compares.

Which is sort of a testament to the 950, and it's camera software too, a now pretty old (2015) premium phone, that still requires a very good current midrange, or premium range phone to replace the level of camera quality.

Last edited:

ruddevil

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I can completely relate. I, too, have finally decided to find a replacement for my L950 as the end is getting closer and closer. Since I plan to keep using L950 for photo taking, I decided to go low for the replacement phone: Redmi Note 7. I bought the 4/64 option for 180 USD.

With Camera2API already enabled by default in RM7, installing the GCam APK was straightforward so you can get those Pixel camera features and performance. Daylight captures are great, details are preserved with minimal noise. Low light captures, while still some way behind the premium phones, are practically usable.

Hope you get something that satisfies your photography needs.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I started preparing and shopping last year when I bought a Sony XZ1 Compact, and among the things that persuaded me is the rare shutter button like we have on the 950. Music is an even higher priority for me with phones and now I've picked up an unlocked T-Mobile LG V20, which -camera-wise- includes super useful wide-angle lenses. Both phones also have excellent camera apps, among other things. The Sony has retained its value quite well, but I was able to get a like-new V20 for ~$120 on ebay.

Still, at this point, I've only installed SD cards, music, and music apps on both phones, and Microsoft Launcher on the Sony. I'll be a 950 user as long as possible, though soon I'll be transferring data over to both phones while I'm confident that 950 backups are solid: Heads up to fellow hold-outs on such timing.

My music and photo appetites require SD-card expandability, which meant that Apple and Google phones were never in the running. Otherwise, the relative compactness and cameras of the Pixels might have interested me (although the Pixel 2 does not have an audio jack.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077