Help please!...Which Surface would be best for me?

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I am interested in a Microsoft surface tablet for my last two semesters of school(and beyond) because lugging around my T430 is a pain, but I am completely confused on which one to get.

My T430 is a school issued laptop that will belong to me once I graduate. It is currently boasting an i5-3320M with 6GB of RAM. It is sufficient for my daily needs, but it's about five pounds and very fragile(plastic exterior). I work for IT so I get it repaired every two months or so(Hinges, screen, hard drive etc.) Basically, I would like advice on which Surface I should look into if any to reduce my use and carrying of this laptop.

Which Surface?

Surface 2 is appealing to me because it has Office, and seems like it will suit my typing/note taking needs for school, and then I can just use my laptop for my additional needs. Problem is, I feel like switching between two devices to use desktop apps is a hassle. This Surface is more tablet than laptop/hybrid. I'm a computer security major so I run intensive programs like wireshark, virtual machines etc. and I won't be able to run it on my Surface 2. I'd have to bring my laptop, and surface in on days where I would need those classes, so a double hassle. I can get this Surface for the cheapest, with a touch cover at around a $300 price point.

Surface Pro(128 GB w/ 4GB Ram) The oldest model of the Surface Pro with dated hardware for use as a laptop. Lacking Intel vPro and Trusted Execution, but capable enough to handle my school needs. The one issue I'm having is that its specs are nearly identical to my laptop except for the fact that it only has 4GB of RAM. Seems like they cancel each other out in my head...Why use my surface if my laptop has 2GB more ram, or why use my laptop if my surface is more portable? Seems like one of these devices will become unnecessary. I can get this at a $400 price point with a touch cover 2 and stylus.

Surface Pro 2(256GB/8GBRAM) This Surface will most likely put my laptop out of business. Just as powerful with more RAM and more portable. My only concern with this is price...I am still a college student. I can get this Surface at an $800 price point w/ touch cover 2 and stylus.

Surface Pro 3 If anyone in addition to Microsoft's student discount would like to donate to the poor college kid's fund towards a Surface Pro 3 please inform me!

I appreciate any form of feedback, even a simple vote would be greatly appreciated. I just need help with my thought process, I'm stuck.
[Prices from Swappa]

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like you do more with your notebook than the avg person. I wouldn't recommend any of the Windows RT-based Surface devices (Surface, Surface RT, Surface 2). There are too many limitations with the device that you will very likely run into given the way that you use your devices. Office is nice, but it still isn't the full version of Office, close, but not exact.

I recommend avoiding the Surface Pro 3. It is too new and there are still wrinkles being ironed out.

I would recommend the Surface Pro 2. If the reports coming in from various people are to be believed, the Surface Pro 2 outperforms the SP3 under certain conditions. There is a PowerCover option for the SP2 if you find that you need even more battery life than the SP2 offers.

I don't think that any of the Surface devices (Pro and non-Pro) are particularly reliable, but out of all of them, I'd trust the SP2 the most.

Hope this helps.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you do more with your notebook than the avg person. I wouldn't recommend any of the Windows RT-based Surface devices (Surface, Surface RT, Surface 2). There are too many limitations with the device that you will very likely run into given the way that you use your devices. Office is nice, but it still isn't the full version of Office, close, but not exact.

I recommend avoiding the Surface Pro 3. It is too new and there are still wrinkles being ironed out.

I would recommend the Surface Pro 2. If the reports coming in from various people are to be believed, the Surface Pro 2 outperforms the SP3 under certain conditions. There is a PowerCover option for the SP2 if you find that you need even more battery life than the SP2 offers.

I don't think that any of the Surface devices (Pro and non-Pro) are particularly reliable, but out of all of them, I'd trust the SP2 the most.

Hope this helps.

Just to keep in mind, If I were to get the Surface 2 I wouldn't try to use it for my heavy tasks as my Laptop would continue to do that, but I would for smaller tasks.The only trouble would be carrying two devices around sometimes. If I opt for it I won't expect it to do any heavy tasks, I know the device's limitations. I see where you're coming from with office, I have office 2010, but I thought the office that comes with the Surface 2 would be better.The surface pro 2 is my top choice, price is leaning me toward the other direction, but I see how capable the device is. Surface three is just a stretch .Your advice definitely does help, thanks!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Just to keep in mind, If I were to get the Surface 2 I wouldn't try to use it for my heavy tasks as my Laptop would continue to do that, but I would for smaller tasks.The only trouble would be carrying two devices around sometimes. If I opt for it I won't expect it to do any heavy tasks, I know the device's limitations. I see where you're coming from with office, I have office 2010, but I thought the office that comes with the Surface 2 would be better.The surface pro 2 is my top choice, price is leaning me toward the other direction, but I see how capable the device is. Surface three is just a stretch .Your advice definitely does help, thanks!
There are limitations with Office RT that might be an issue for you. There is no support for macros in Excel RT. That's just one issue with Office RT.

MS IE is the only browser available for Windows RT. That browser does not support browser plug-ins nor Java. That is certainly a problem for university students who rely on those things to access their university's online resources.

Although your plan is to not use the Surface 2 for heavy tasks, within a week of using it, you will see the great potential in the platform. THAT's when you'll run into the brick wall of Windows RT. As much as you don't think you'll want to run legacy (x86) apps on it, you most likely will.

Alternatively, you might consider a less expensive option. The Asus T100 is a great 10.1" tablet running full Windows... you can find the 64GB model it for $379 USD and that includes a keyboard. I nearly purchased that when I was looking beyond my Surface 2. I ended up getting an Asus X200MA netbook. 11.6" touchscreen, 500GB harddrive, and all full-sized ports... $279. It's been a great little workhorse.

I would recommend either of those 2 devices over a Surface 2.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
There are limitations with Office RT that might be an issue for you. There is no support for macros in Excel RT. That's just one issue with Office RT.

MS IE is the only browser available for Windows RT. That browser does not support browser plug-ins nor Java. That is certainly a problem for university students who rely on those things to access their university's online resources.

Although your plan is to not use the Surface 2 for heavy tasks, within a week of using it, you will see the great potential in the platform. THAT's when you'll run into the brick wall of Windows RT. As much as you don't think you'll want to run legacy (x86) apps on it, you most likely will.

Alternatively, you might consider a less expensive option. The Asus T100 is a great 10.1" tablet running full Windows... you can find the 64GB model it for $379 USD and that includes a keyboard. I nearly purchased that when I was looking beyond my Surface 2. I ended up getting an Asus X200MA netbook. 11.6" touchscreen, 500GB harddrive, and all full-sized ports... $279. It's been a great little workhorse.

I would recommend either of those 2 devices over a Surface 2.

Would you recommend any of these over a Surface Pro 2 in terms of value?
Good catch on the University resources, that's a huge drawback.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I say Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2.

With the Surface 2, if you want desktop programs, you can always use a remote desktop app like TeamViewer. That's how I run Photoshop on my Surface RT.

Surface Pro 2 is just plain awesome. If you can make the budget for that, get it. I love my SP2. It's by far my favorite machine (though I use my desktop more for hardcore work due to triple monitors and my Surface RT as my daily work machine).

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I see where you're going with teamviewer but i see it as a bit of a barrier. If i could get the sp2 for a bit cheaper i think that's what I'll go for.

sr1030nx

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the SP2 and would recommend it over the SP3.

The Asus t100 is a little underpowered, but still decent if you don't need a lot of horsepower.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
my problems with the Asus T100 has nothing to do with power. For a $400 machine, you get a lot of bang for your buck and it does basic tasks well. It's a machine you can dabble and play with.

But it's got way too many flaws for a machine you use for hours for work or play or study. Keyboard is awful and unusable, screen isn't bright, dock is inconvenient, build quality is all over the place, etc. And many programs that you would want a "full Windows" machine can't run well on the Asus either. It's not that they're necessarily "flaws" as in defects. But the Asus does follow the adage, "you get what you pay for."

But again, if you can afford the SP2, get it! You will love it. It's my pride and joy.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely opting for the high powered SP2. Just waiting for the right price($750). Definitely feels like the best valued w8 tablet on the market after the sp3 and it's hefty price tag. I'll be able to use my laptop at home, and my SP2 everywhere else with the same functionality, if not better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamedi