How can I adapt from WP 8.1 to an Android phone?

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I also have two phones, which have different carriers and OS'es (WP and Android). For the longest time, I have used WP (Nokia Lumia 830 on WP 8.1) as my daily driver because I am so comfortable using this OS for normal phone usage (call, text, Here Maps, reading emails using Outlook, using Excel for finance tracking, using OneNote for notes, etc) in contrast with Android phones.

Now, I am thinking of replacing my Android phone with a better one. What comes to mind is the ZTE Axon 7 or the HTC 10 because I am an audiophile, and the speakers that these phones have are superb compared to Windows Mobile phones. The HP Elite x3 should have been a great option for me even though it's not an Android phone, but it's already outside of my allotted budget for my secondary phone.

Now what bugs me is if I'm going to buy a better-specced phone than my Nokia Lumia 830, I might as well use it as my primary driver. BUT as I said, I am very much comfortable on the WP ecosystem that even the lack of apps doesn't hinder me from using it frequently.

My question is if I'm going to switch to an Android phone as my primary driver, won't I have trouble using it (coming from WP ecosystem)? How could I adapt to the new OS?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That really depends partly on you and how you adapt to new things.

Android isn't incredibly different, the apps aren't necessarily weird but you'll certainly be shaking off some old habits over time. (like how I tried to use BlackBerry Keyboard gestures on a Windows Phone, Swype on a Sailfish OS phone, or webOS back-swipe on an iPod touch)

I think that we could take it step by step. Also worth noting that there are minor differences between Android flavors for each manufacturer, etc. But nothing you can't adapt to since the underlying software is the same, I'm talking about differences in features, appearance, and so on.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a L830 as my primary phone too for almost 3 years now. I also have a Galaxy Note 4, arguably a superior phone, which I bought intending to replace the Nokia as my primary phone. The problem for me is this:-
The entire Windows Phone experience is simply too good to relegate to second place. My Note is more capable and superior in every respect except for the pleasure I get from using it compared to the Lumia. I could easily adapt to using Android as my primary device but that would turn my phone into becoming a tool to use when need instead of the pleasurable experience I get from the Lumia.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720