How can I delete OTHER files in phone memory?

S_Prashanth

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
My Microsoft Lumia 640 XL shows approximately 600 MB of other files in Storage Sense. I want to know how I can delete these files in order to create some free space.

vivekgiri_7

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
My Microsoft Lumia 640 XL shows approximately 600 MB of other files in Storage Sense. I want to know how I can delete these files in order to create some free space.

Keep calm....
Those 600 mb data are yours WhatsApp backup files and other downloaded files by this party browser (like UC), in your SD card.

S_Prashanth

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't use Whatsapp or UC. However I play some games, use Messenger, MetroMail and some other basic apps.

I asked how I can delete these files because it is mentioned "These are file types we don't recognize that didn't fit in with the rest. You can try connecting your phone to your computer and managing them there."

Just like it said, I connected my phone to my computer, enabled hidden items in View section of File Explorer. I also disabled Hide protected operating system files just in case I can see those other files. I have done this changes to File Explorer only when I am intended to find these other files. But I failed to find these other files this way. I usually disable hidden files and hide protected operating system file as it is recommended.

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
SP, I too would like to know what's in the Other folders, and delete the files if appropriate.

Storage Sense shows that I have 510MB in Other on phone, and another 514MB in Other on sd card.
I don't use UC or WhatsApp, so the contents are not related to those apps.

However, Files (Microsoft app installed from Store) doesn't even list either Other folders. Why is that?

I downloaded an ebook from Gutenberg project and don't know where it went. I suspect it went into one of the two Other folders.
If so, I would like to delete that file.

S_Prashanth

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I think there should be apps similar to Files which can show/list all the files and folders including temporary files and allow us to delete these other files. Are there any apps which have this feature?

vivekgiri_7

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
It's better you don't delete them.....
The "other" data is important.
It can be your multiple files "other" than :-
Documents
Pictures
Download
Video
Music.
If you have another 6th or more than the above 5-primary folder....
Than these folders will shown up as "other" in storage sense.
For example....
In my phone:-
Storage sense shows 735mb data in "other" section .....
Thoes 735 mb data is my WhatsApp backup files, as because it is extra than those 5-primary folders.

JajraRocks

Jan 3, 2017
Visit site
Keep calm....
Those 600 mb data are yours WhatsApp backup files and other downloaded files by this party browser (like UC), in your SD card.

Are you kidding me? 600MB for WhatsApp backup? What so special and giant in WhatsApp? And talking about UC browser, I prefer downloading files to directly to SD card but still I have the same issue with phone storage. It's really nothing else but just junk files.
I tried to open a zip file and it was about 500MB in size. It failed to open but 500MB of my phone storage was filled with junk shown in other files. It can't be WhatsApp!
Microsoft has left some bugs in Windows phones to bother us. And good news is that now when Windows 10 is released, there'd be no update for WP 8.1 users.

Venkatesan Ramasami

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I own Lumia 550 and I want to free up some storage memory from Device and I see under Apps & Games Microsoft Corporation 810 mb. Can I uninstall this and how will I be adversely affected. Please advise.

Olumayowa Odebiyi

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Just perform a hard reset. Not only do you end up with more space, but seems a lot of the apps initially difficult to remove or uninstall, now can be uninstalled during that period.

Didn't have to look at the OTHERS file any longer.

Hope yours turn out as well as mine did.🤞

Jackson 1

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Just perform a hard reset. Not only do you end up with more space, but seems a lot of the apps initially difficult to remove or uninstall, now can be uninstalled during that period.

Didn't have to look at the OTHERS file any longer.

Hope yours turn out as well as mine did.🤞

How do you perform a hard reset? Do you just hold the power button or is it something more complex?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss