How Can Microsoft Rise Again ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft maybe the leading platform in computer but when it comes to tablets and phones, Microsoft is really struggling
The question is what to do about it? here is what I think. I hope you guys would read it, comment on it and then share your own thoughts about ways in which Microsoft can rise again
Targeting the customers of developing world seems to be working but its not THAT effective. On the other hand getting people to switch from Apple and Android phones to windows seems more like a successful plan that will cause a significant rise. Now I know that Microsoft had their campaigns to help attract the android and apple phone users like #Switch and "don't get scroogled" but come on guys, the only way to force humans into something isn't by sweet talking them into it like what these campaigns do. One of the few ways to force our stubborn race , humans, into something is by limiting their options. You see Microsoft is a VERY friendly community. Microsoft team is nice, so nice that they provided apple and android with their native applications like OneDrive, Office, OneNote and even OUTLOOK . Seriously Microsoft -.- ?? you are going to provide your rivals with your OWN cloud storage ?? with your OFFICE apps that gets everyone to drool ?? your OUTLOOK ? All of these things are important ! Put yourself in the shoes of any android or Apple user, that's what you'll think " oh well well what have we here, oh onedrive, that's perfect now I can use my iPhone to upload everything and go back home use my windows desktop to continue working" and so is the case with every single other app I listed above.
I believe that Apple and Android phone users SHOULDNT be given to permission to use Microsoft apps on their phones or at all. because the more apps Microsoft make for Apple and Android, The more THEIR customers will be satisfied and comfier with their current OS on their phones.
now don't get me wrong you guys I know that Office for instance requires payment but what's better ? a profit from an app or a profit from a handset with thousands of paid apps ? you think on it
And FYI I don't hate Android and Apple. there is nothing in my heart but love and respect to these platforms. everyone of them is special and unique but im sorry guys these platforms don't give a sh*t about Microsoft (excuse my language). If it was a symbiotic relationship where "I give you apps you give me apps" I would be cool with that. but its not and it will never be Google in specific would never give off its native apps neither will apple. I don't see iCloud coming anytime soon on our windows phone store. YouTube ? on windows phone ?? don't think so either
Bottom line is "Microsoft should pull out all their apps from Play store and App store" this will get people flocking around Microsoft stores wanting more handsets after they realized how important it is for them to use such apps on daily basis

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
One of the strongest businesses of Microsoft is Office. Of course they have to offer it on all platforms. Office for iPad was even very late because it forced people to look for alternatives.

Why should they risk a very successful business just to get more people to use Windows Phone, most of all when so many alternatives are available, even for free?

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
People have been using Android and Apple devices for many years now and you don't hear many complaints about not having MS apps.

The thing is, all these Office and Remote Desktop apps etc. still hold a "work" aura about them. Who uses Excel or Word outside their professional life? Not that many people. And a phone or a tablet is a personal device. Until MS has compelling offerings that are not tied into their Enterprise space, they will continue to lag behind.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
This is a very bad idea for Microsoft. Most of Microsoft's services have many good or better equivalents - e.g. Dropbox, Gmail, remote desktop, etc - and people will simply use those instead. Most already do.

The only Microsoft app with wide appeal is Office, and even there I doubt it has a lot of value on mobile (and I use Office a lot for work). Not supporting Office on other popular platforms will at best have little effect, and at worse will push people to alternatives. Thanks to Microsoft's lack of support for Office on Linux, and now use OpenOffice and Google Docs for personal stuff. That's a sale of some high margin / very overpriced software lost. Nice one Steve!

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to disagree. I have no reason to believe that people will flock to WP in order to access MS services. This presumes a large base of people using MS services on their current iOS and Android devices, and that these people are so loyal to MS services that they would sell their existing device and buy a new WP (or here in the US, break their existing contract and pay a penalty, then sign a new contract). Look at Surface the last two years; it has had the best implementation of Office and the tightest integration of OneDrive available on any tablet. These benefits were not enough to make the device anywhere close to competitive with iPad. The only way I could see your argument working is if the Windows Phone and Tablet hardware, app stores, pricing and ecosystem were all absolutely as good or better than the competition; in that circumstance, then sure- exclusive access to Office, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox and other MS services might be attractive and provide positive differentiation. But then how do these users interact with the 90% of existing iOS/Android consumers who have not converted to Windows? Conversely, allowing people to use your services everywhere all the time creates millions of opportunities to generate revenue and bring people into the ecosystem.

What makes you say that getting iOS/Android users to switch "seems more like a successful plan"? What have you seen that would make you say that? How would that seem more "successful" than targeting new users and developing markets? I would assume MS has looked at all of the numbers and made this decision based on an intimate knowledge of their businesses and their users. Can you provide ANY evidence to support your hypotheses?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
People have been using Android and Apple devices for many years now and you don't hear many complaints about not having MS apps.

The thing is, all these Office and Remote Desktop apps etc. still hold a "work" aura about them. Who uses Excel or Word outside their professional life? Not that many people. And a phone or a tablet is a personal device. Until MS has compelling offerings that are not tied into their Enterprise space, they will continue to lag behind.
I agree with you. I've never used Word, Excel or PowerPoint outside of work/school.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
FY14 Q3 - Press Releases - Investor Relations - Microsoft

EDIT: Why do people insist on the same? Why do they want to see that Microsoft only have losses on their products?

I did say WP and Xbox. That number of 8.3B includes Windows OEM licenses (i.e. what Dell, Lenovo etc. pay MS). I'm not interested in proving that MS failed or is failing - they have amazing professional and enterprise products. Their ability to make an impact on the pure consumer market is what I doubt and so far the only products targeted to that market are WP and Xbox.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I did say WP and Xbox. That number of 8.3B includes Windows OEM licenses (i.e. what Dell, Lenovo etc. pay MS). I'm not interested in proving that MS failed or is failing - they have amazing professional and enterprise products. Their ability to make an impact on the pure consumer market is what I doubt and so far the only products targeted to that market are WP and Xbox.

Microsoft is an Enterprise company and I think they already made an impact on the consumer Market with the success of the XBox.
Where were you the last 10(?) years?

I only seen 2 of your posts, but imho I think youre just a Hater.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows is very important for consumer markets. Everybody who buys a laptop or a computer with Windows for gaming or for Facebook browsing is a consumer.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Please provide a citation wherein it is illustrated how MS' consumer products (WP8, Xbox) are profitable.

That is the only number they give. We know they've sold 5 million Xbox Ones.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
On 20 Billion in sales, they made 7 billion in profit. Hot damn!
Cash Flow: 35% - that is fantastic no matter what business you are in.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Two things...

1) WP and Xbox are not Microsoft's only consumer products. Windows, even though it's usually acquired by consumers through an OEM, is still a major product used by consumers and that makes it a consumer product. Windows "Home Edition" is certainly not a business oriented product. There are quite a few other products that MS targets at consumers like games, keyboards, mice, webcams, software (not just Office), and Surface.

2) Why do these products HAVE to profit as individual stand-alone items? Is breaking even not good enough? Is a loss of any kind not acceptable under any circumstances? Google makes little or no money directly from Android (most OEMs are struggling to make it profitable as well) and it's believed that Microsoft might actually make more money directly from Android sales than Google does due to the patent issues. However, few would argue that Android isn't an important part of Google's ecosystem and business strategy. It drives people to use Google services (also not a big money maker for Google) which drives their advertising (where they make almost every bit of their money). By your logic, Google has failed as a technology company and is only successful in advertising.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It can't MS is dead /s...

On serious note MS never gone downhill, it makes insane amount of profit every year, people got a bit tired of windows and all that **** and wants something new, yet simmiliar to MS platforms.
And i don't see the point of your thread, MS made lots of failures and mistakes, yet they're still dominant and from 2013 things for MS is just getting better, it started to think the new way, it started to interact alot more with "community" and developers.
It's amazing how MS changed from "Secretass goverment spying organisation" to more open and modern company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard